Poor Sleep Common in MS, Linked to Fatigue, Depression, and Anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Sleep Common in MS, Linked to Fatigue, Depression, and Anxiety

Poor sleep quality is very common among patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) or clinically isolated syndrome (CIS), and is associated with a lower quality of life, and greater fatigue, depression and anxiety, according to a real-world study in patients treated with Betaferon (interferon beta-1b).

Sleep issues, which can affect quality of life, disease severity, and flare-ups, are common in MS patients. Accordingly, fatigue, which is closely related to sleep disturbances, occurs in nearly 80 percent of MS patients.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...nxiety-study/?

I had a sleep study done when on Rebif. Interesting conclusion - spent decent amount of time in REM but restless leg syndrome.

I have always been a restless sleeper, from grade school on up. Current neuro wants another study since it has been over 10 years. But he said restless leg also may have a connection to sleep apnea, so he wants to see what may be contributing to fatigue. I was surprised about sleep apnea, I don't snore. But wants to check.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks for continuing to educate us marco.

I thank all the gods that may exist for the unique advice of an elderly doc who recommended i try some thing different to get a decent sleep a few years a go.

As long as i stick to my regime i can function and actually behave amiably rather than trudging on through life like life it self is a chore.

A good sleep, including REM sleep and rest if needed during the day is so important to quality of life and to minimising symptoms and sensations.

I read somewhere once that dreaming was the human equivalent to defragging a computer.
      I had gone years without defragging as far as i know.
      Now i dream so much that its hard to remember them all and if i have to cut short me sleep for some reason and i don't get to dream i really notice it during the day.Fatigued and grumpy and in pain.
      Thanks again,
      Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
        I read somewhere once that dreaming was the human equivalent to defragging a computer.
        The latest theory I heard is that REM is just your brain's way of shivering (and has nothing to do with memory or other 'maintenance' functions)!
        1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
        NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Darn it,
          It sounded quite romantic to think that dreaming could be responsible for improving life and other bodily functions.

Comment

Don't despair! It's only a theory!
            1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
            NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Working...
            X