Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tinnitis

Hi,
    I have been experiencing tinnitus for the last couple of yrs.( ringing in the ears)
    It is now with me 24/7 and is quite high pitched i also seem to be able to hear my heart beating in my ears more and more.

This can be very distracting and annoying though not painful.
    I have been given a referral to ENT but haven't gone yet.
    My neuro doesn't think it is anything to do with ms.
    There doesn't seem to be anything that can actually stop this so I'm disinclined to extend more effort n $ searching.
    I do practice practical things that ease the irritation though.

i just wondered if others had experienced this and compare notes?
    Caroline

Caroline, I have had tinnitus for many years too. Sometimes when I do too much or my MS is acting up, it seems worse. My ears are now very sensitive, so I wear earplugs (from the music store) to protect my ears in loud situations (including movie theaters).

That said, I am curious too. I have seen an ENT and the only solution offered was a hearing aid that sometimes works to help correct the problem. However, the Sunday newspaper has advertisements claiming to fix the tinnitus but I haven’t ever acted on it as I wasn’t sure the cure was actually valid. (I have spent $$ chasing cures that don’t work.)

I too am interested to hear from others and glad you posted this thread.

Comment

Eat ringing

very annoying.

had it on dx last year. Then went away slowly. RRMS was my dx.

Thats is all I can contribute,

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
        Hi,
        I have been experiencing tinnitus for the last couple of yrs.( ringing in the ears)
        It is now with me 24/7 and is quite high pitched i also seem to be able to hear my heart beating in my ears more and more.

This can be very distracting and annoying though not painful.
        I have been given a referral to ENT but haven't gone yet.
        My neuro doesn't think it is anything to do with ms.
        There doesn't seem to be anything that can actually stop this so I'm disinclined to extend more effort n $ searching.
        I do practice practical things that ease the irritation though.

i just wondered if others had experienced this and compare notes?
        Caroline
        Hi Caroline

I do experience the ringing in the ears occasionally (a few times a week).

The high pitched noise doesn't last for longer than a minute or so, thank goodness.

Can't imagine how you deal with it happening so often, or for so long, as it can be very annoying!

Hope the irritating sounds quiet down for you.

Take Care
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I started experiencing loud, high pitched tinnitus 24/7 approximately 5yrs ago. My MS guru doc at the time dismissed MS as the cause, although I had my doubts about that.

Fast forward to a new PCP doc who earlier in his career studied under a neurology fellowship, who did a simple tuning fork vibration test on my forehead, I didn't feel the vibrations at all. PCP also looked at my MRIs, with frontal lobe MS lesions and concluded the tinnitus was likely due to MS damage in the frontal lobe based on tuning fork test and MRIs.

I can't remember the google search terms I used, but there is some info available regarding my above comments.

Best of luck and take care everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by MSW1963 View Post
            I started experiencing loud, high pitched tinnitus 24/7 approximately 5yrs ago. My MS guru doc at the time dismissed MS as the cause, although I had my doubts about that.

Fast forward to a new PCP doc who earlier in his career studied under a neurology fellowship, who did a simple tuning fork vibration test on my forehead, I didn't feel the vibrations at all. PCP also looked at my MRIs, with frontal lobe MS lesions and concluded the tinnitus was likely due to MS damage in the frontal lobe based on tuning fork test and MRIs.

I can't remember the google search terms I used, but there is some info available regarding my above comments.

Best of luck and take care everyone!
            Yup...Pretty sure mine is from MS as well. I went to an ENT, and there is no cure. I too was told about the expensive hearing aid that may or may not help, and that I will misplace every two seconds if not lose altogether! I never went back to the tinnitus person who may be able to get the hearing aid thing and teach some distracting techniques or something. I did get a pile of wax professionally removed so not a total waste.

What advice were you given (other than it probably is due to stupid MS which mine probably is too). I was told go easy on the Motrin and watch for "things" that exasperate the condition and then don't do it.
            Tawanda

Comment

Me, too. My right ear has been ringing constantly for many years. Left ear rings on and off each day. I have difficulties in hearing people when they speak. I'm constantly asking people to repeat themselves or else I just give up and agree to whatever they've said that certainly could get me in trouble!
              I also sometimes hear that something's being said but I can't understand what's being said. I have real trouble hearing the television.
              Had a hearing eval a couple of years ago after referral from my neuro. Advised I need a hearing aid - unfortunately, they're much too expensive.

Comment

Hi,
                Its2much
                I have difficulties in hearing people when they speak. I'm constantly asking people to repeat themselves or else I just give up and agree to whatever they've said that certainly could get me in trouble!

I also sometimes hear that something's being said but I can't understand what's being said. I have real trouble hearing the television.
                Yeah the tv seems to be amost on the same wave length so i find it easier with subtitles now.
                Its not that i can't hear, the high pitched buzz seems to cancel out some sounds and words so combined with forgetting words etc cause of cognition , i'm a great conversationalist.

My neuro did the tuning fork test on cheeks and hands and knees to test sensitivity. But not forhead.
                Will google search for more info.Thanks.
                Neuro did say that some drugs can exacerbate the problem.

I do seem to be more sensitive to load noise as well Mygirlsmom . Its comforting to know that its not just me that can't seem to enjoy movies on the big screen anymore. I actually find myself flinching in discomfort with the bang, clang, background cacophony of action movies even at home.
                Caroline

Comment

I've had tinnitis for over 30 years and it started as intermittent static noise to buzzing to now constant ringing 24/7. I never thought to link it to MS, as it started a many years before my first flare up. Also, my brother has it and he doesn't have MS.

Nevertheless, it's here to stay. I've sort of gotten used to it and don't think about it unless I pay close attention. The worst time is at night when the world is quiet and I'm trying to fall asleep. My solution was to have a fan on, thus creating a "white noise" to cancel out the ringing and that works really well.

Unlike some of you, my hearing is excellent. Almost too good. When I hear a weird noise from the furnace or our car, my husband can't hear it, so that means nothing is wrong

Movie theaters are murder as well as busy restaurants. I have trouble hearing the person next to me because I hear everything (restaurant noise, people talking all around me) all at the same time! Maybe it has nothing to do with tinnitis, but it's hard to focus - maybe it's over stimulation??

I wish there was a magic pill for all of us.
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Everything Seasha said EXCEPT
                    Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                    ...Unlike some of you, my hearing is excellent. Almost too good. When I hear a weird noise from the furnace or our car, my husband can't hear it, so that means nothing is wrong ...
                    I do have hearing problems and wear hearing aids (yeah expensive ) and although wearing them may help some, it is murder when your ears are ringing and you can't decide if it is the hearing aids or just "normal" tinnitus . I wear my hearing aids only when I have to hear something (doctor appointments, church etc.) and just annoy everybody by asking them to repeat what they said or miss out on what others may be saying the rest of the time.

I have been told by ENT and audiologist that there is nothing that can be done to help stop the ringing, but that was years ago. Good luck to all in finding a solution .

Comment

Earplugs help!

For those that have sensitivity to loud noise (along with the tinnitus), My suggestion is to try earplugs in noisy settings....including restaurants, movies, the mall, etc. I now use Earasers from Guitar Center, as that is what musicians use. It helps take out the extra noise and I can hear more clearly. For my daughters volleyball games, where the noise is so very loud, it truly helps. It also reduces the impact on my entire nervous system and I feel less exhausted after attending a noisy event.

We have a stereo system at home for watching movies, so I tend to use the “captioning on the TV” for that.

I am glad to know I am not alone in this!! Thanks all!

Comment

Thanks for the info about the special earplugs

Comment

I didn't realize this was so prevalent with MS. In people without MS my first thought is what medication might be causing it so that could be something to explore also.
                          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                          Anonymous

Comment

Hi,

I am not diagnosed, still in Limbo. I have had ringing in my right ear 24/7 for over a year now, but my ear also, at times, feels like there is something in it. Almost as if someone lightly put a cotton ball just inside the ear. I also get crazy vertigo at times as well. My doctor thinks it is Menier's(?) disease and has referred me to an Audiologist and ENT. Anyone have this and how do you cope? This Limbo voyage just keeps getting crazier and crazier!

Comment

Thanks for replies everyone.
                              I don't think i will bother with ent etc just another thing to pay for and worry about.
                              Neuro commented last visit that this (and other things) if improved could in turn improve 'my quality of life'. He has the best intentions but he doesn't 'get' how much effort and energy expenditure is involved in chasing up all these little (possible, non guaranteed) improvements.

Have often heard older people (older than me) complaining that their lives revolved around one docs visit or another.
                              Well many of us have been doing that for years . I'm over it already and have been for a while and i'm only 51.
                              Sorry you are still in limbo w.rose. not that i wish ms on you but it is easier to deal with clarity.
                              I hope you get some soon.
                              I have had the occasional bouts of dizziness over the years. But more recently its more like i'm walking /standing on a boat deck and this seems to be getting more frequent.

My husband bought an end loader to do work at our farm a couple years ago.
                              Its a funny ting actually that i seem to be able to cope with all the weird symptoms better when operating it.
                              The motor noise cancels out the buzz.
                              The vibration makes tingles, sparks and numbness less noticeable.
                              The useless feeling is gone because i am actually doing something. is all auto with joystick and lever control.
                              The seat bounce also cancels the hug (mostly)

Hubby originally intended to sell this after the work we needed it for was done but i get so much satisfaction out of using it that i don't think it will be going anywhere.
                              I have often thought it would be good to share my experiences with it and other farm equipment and cows and horses with other mser's.
                              What do you guys think? would you visit a farm stay tailored to those with ms?

Comment

Working...
                              X