Mornings are the worst!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mornings are the worst!!

Is it just me, or does anyone else have difficulty getting going in the morning? Now that I'm on STD from work I no longer have to get up at 5am and hit the ground running (so to speak), but mornings are still pretty rough until I've been up and moving for a while and had a little caffeine.

Definitely. But I have to own up to the fact that I have never been a morning person! I always was most productive at work after 10:00, even if there at 7:00.

But it does seem to take longer to shake the cobwebs off, if they even go away that day.

Since in STD, are you in a relapse? Or have you started new meds or take anything to sleep? These can contribute to that tough morning start.

Hope things get back to normal for you.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I try not to make morning appointments because I never know which world I will wake up in. Of course, sometimes late afternoons are bad too.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Canary54 View Post
        Is it just me, or does anyone else have difficulty getting going in the morning? Now that I'm on STD from work I no longer have to get up at 5am and hit the ground running (so to speak), but mornings are still pretty rough until I've been up and moving for a while and had a little caffeine.
        Canary54

Not sure how long your "been up and moving for a while" is?

For me, I am ready for activity after about an hour of being awake (provided I've had a decent night's sleep).

However, during that hour, it's important that I cool down (after becoming too warm from being under the bedcovers), and also imperative that I have a good strong cup of coffee.

I am then ready for my most productive few hours of the day - because as the day wears on, I wear out!

Take Care
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I’m really hurting in the morning. I don’t understand it ? I thought or was under the impression that sleep was supposed to refresh, rejuvenate and heal ? I’m sure MS came for me while I was sleeping. Same as waking up with a migraine or sore throat or an ach that just came out of nowhere. I just don’t think I’m falling into the same realm of sleep as a healthy person. I think sleep needs a lot more studying in People with MS. I know I need my sleep but just got that feeling like “wonder what I’ll feel like when I wake up tomorrow “
          My sleep or whatever I’m falling into might just be the culprit taking me down ? I have to quit this thinking out side the box. Time to take my sleeping pill LOL.
          It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Canary54 - I too have a hard time getting started in the mornings. I tend to think that my problem is (as KoKo said) due to being 'overheated' when I get up - In spite of the fact that I sleep with the ac on me at night all year long.

I have trouble with balance and vision all the way to the kitchen where I get my morning coffee. I DO detor to let the dogs out on my way to the kitchen. After I get my coffee I let the dogs back in and sit down to catch the news/weather of the day while I drink my coffee and take my morning pills. All of this takes close to an hour, but after I am finished with coffee I am ready to start my day (usually).

Like marti I NEVER make morning appointments (... after 10 please) and like pennstater I never was a morning person.
            But I actually remember getting up at 4 in the morning, getting supper prepped, getting myself and my 5yo ready to go and leaving for work by 5 every morning. Sometimes there would be a load of laundry done before we left and other times we would work in enough time to stop and view a meteor shower.

Now days we have a rule that nobody talks to me before I finish my coffee .

oceanpride - I always blame the aches and pains every morning on my husband. He really is a rough (restless) sleeper and I have threatened him several times that he needs to start looking for another bed!
            The weeks he was in the hospital I got such good sleep in spite of the stress of him being in ICU. Makes me wonder if my flippant remarks have some validation?

All that I can offer is the same things you have most likely been told already - Keep the bedroom cool and dark. No screen time before bed, no heavy meals before bed and if you are not sleeping within 20-30 minutes get up and read or meditate until you feel sleepy.
            I have found that it helps me to have a glass of water at my bedside to sip on during the night - just to keep from getting dehydrated at night.

A sleep study may identify problems that can have an easy fix, giving you both a good night's sleep and an easier start to your day.

Hopefully it will not get to the drastic measures we are considering now .

Comment

I'm on STD from work due to an exacerbation I had around Thanksgiving. I did the 3 days of outpatient IV steroids in early December and thought, if I just kept working as I had been, all would return to my "normal" pre-exacerbation. Wrong!

I have significant deficits with balance, gait, walking endurance, foot drop, and right handed strength and dexterity since the exacerbation. Neurologist put me off on short term disability the first week of April, ordered PT and OT and will reassess in June. My neurologist is not a fan of disability, but he told me he doubted I'd ever be able to return to work. My work is and has been extremely supportive, but they have told me that I am no longer able to continue in my current position due to fatigue and symptoms exacerbated by work-related stress.

I will be 64 in July and had planned to retire in June, 2019, so I'm not missing my target date by much. When working, I got up at 5am. Now I get up around 8:30.....and feel ready to face the day by 10am. My "work" right now is doing my PT and OT exercises and trying to regain as much pre-exacerbation functionality as possible.

Comment

I wanted to wish you lots of luck with your PT and OT. I hope you continue to recover or have adaptive options if needed.

I had to laugh at myself today. Having a real tough time getting going today and it is now 11am. I can't have any caffeine due to a medical test later! I feel like I may need another shower to see if that one can get me moving.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi Canary54,

I wish you all the best with OT/PT and hope you see improvements.

I am very much a morning person

My days usually start anywhere between 4am-5am (7 days a week/365 days a year). If I happen to sleep till 6am that is sleeping in. I prefer early morning Dr. appointments (my next Neurology appointment is for 7:15am).

When my feet hit the floor from waking I head straight for the shower. No caffeine, just my shower is all that's needed. If I don't get my shower first thing I am "off" the entire day

Afternoons are worse for me, that's usually when my ability to accomplish anything decreases and fatigue sets in. I hate appointments that are late morning or afternoon.

Just thought I would give a different perspective
                  Diagnosed 1984
                  “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Howdy. I find that for me, early movement (5AM - I know, yeesh) keeps me going but on my time off, if I start out late, I "turtle" the rest of the day. It's like my pep goes out the window if I don't get going. No rest for the weary?

Comment

Originally posted by ReverseFlash View Post
                      Howdy. I find that for me, early movement (5AM - I know, yeesh) keeps me going but on my time off, if I start out late, I "turtle" the rest of the day. It's like my pep goes out the window if I don't get going. No rest for the weary?
                      ReverseFlash

Same with me. I wake up around 6am, and if I lay around for very long and not get moving after about an hour - I'm "off" for the rest of the day, both physically and mentally.

Take Care
                      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
                      X