Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brain AND Spinal MRIs required to diagnose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain AND Spinal MRIs required to diagnose?

I only recently happened to read that spinal MRI was used as a diagnostic tool for MS. When is that performed-along with brain, after, or based on symptoms?
    Is this done with contrast as well?
    I have seen my family doctor and an ENT for my recent symptoms but I was waiting for the outcome of MRI to see a neurologist.

I had a thoracic and cervical MRI, both with contrast. They were done separately, and apart from the brain MRI. My brain MRI was the last MRI they did. However, this was based on my symptoms because I had leg numbness and they already saw a lesion on my T-spine.
    DX 3/2018; started Ocrevus 3/30/18 (EDSS 2.5)

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."
    - 2 Corinthians 4:16

Comment

For me, the brain and cervical spine were done at the same time. But my MRI were ordered by a neurologist, as when my PCP suspected MS, sent me to neurologist right away. My symptoms inferred the C-spine was involved.

Images were taken without contrast, then contrast injected, and images taken again of both. The contrast won't show any lesions that aren't visible without contrast. The contrast though will show if any lesion is the result of current inflammation and may possible benefit from IVSM if symptoms warrant.

The cervical spine is most common, but some will have the thoracic or lumbar spine also looked at. All dependent on symptoms. I have had the thoracic imaged three times now. I tried the first time to do the brain, cervical and thoracic same time. They did it but I highly recommend against it. It was way too long. The next two times, thoracic was done separately.

I have seen posts from people that have had their spinal MRI after the brain. My guess is neuros order based on symptoms and/or clinical exams. If the brain was done previously and supports possible demylenization, they may order even in the absence of symptons, as not all lesions cause symptoms.

Good luck.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
      X