Ms diagnosis scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ant1981 View Post
    Doesn't MS progress still while on a DMD ?
    The goal of the DMD is to stop relapses and slow progression. The thought is the earlier you start, the better your odds are.

While on the DMD, it could still be possible to have a relapse. That is where the efficacy ratings come into play. The higher the rating, the better the med is for preventing relapses. So that is why you see some people advocating to hit it hard and early. But for some people with a progressive form of MS, the meds may not be much help.

It is also possible that some people progress while on a DMD even absent new relapses and lesions. One reason could be prior damage. I think other reasons may be gray matter changes not picked up by MRI and brain volume changes.

That is why choosing a DMD is such a personal decision. There are no guarantees. But each person has to weigh the risk of choosing a DMD and it's side effects vs not starting a DMD. I personally am in the camp of hit it hard and early. I wish I could have started on Tysabri right away rather than go thru 2 others. But then again, I don't know if the outcome would have been different since I was undiagnosed for years.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

DMD tiers

Starting Tysabri or lemtrada is unfortunately not an option for many.

the first line meds must fail before that becomes an option.

its good to have drugs like tecfidera and Gilenya available for first line meds as their effficacy is kind middle of the road between interferons and lemtrada/Tysabri.

im hoping tecfidera keeps the MS at bay as it has for a lot of family folks.

i personally would get on lemtrada or Tysabri if tecfidera doesn't help enough to stop the disease or at least slow it.

where is a good tier chart of efgicacy?

Comment

Originally posted by Ant1981 View Post
        where is a good tier chart of efgicacy?
        Hi Ant - this can be found in another thread https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...omparing-DMT-s

Follow the link to see a 3 page pdf file showing all the DMT's and their safety/efficacy ratings
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
        X