Depression or anxiety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depression or anxiety?

Every time I see a doctor I get the report of the visit. For awhile now they list "depression" as one of my ailments. I don't really know where they got that or who started it.

I do have a ton of anxiety. Panic attacks etc. But I don't feel like I'm depressed. To me depression is that feeling of being suicidal. Not me. All these doctors know I have a sick husband who is draining every last kernel of energy from me. It worries me that he is sick and that I don't feel adequate to take care of him all the time, but I am not depressed. (He still does many things for himself).

So what is the difference between anxiety and depression?
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Marti - you might want to ask your Dr. on your next visit as to why they list this as a symptom. I know it's a common sx of MS, as well as anxiety, but s/he should be the one to explain why it's on your record.

Do you take medication for this? I take a pill that address both depression and anxiety.

In the meantime, here's an article that explains the differences between them-

"If you have anxiety, depression, or both, chances are that your doctor will recommend medication, therapy, or a combination of the two. Keep track your symptoms and keep a log of how you feel each day, as this can help in the diagnostic process. It’s also important to speak up and ask your doctor whether they think you have depression, anxiety, or both. This clarity can help you understand the treatment focus and how to manage your symptoms. For example, a patient who is prescribed an antidepressant like a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) may not realize that the medication has been prescribed for their anxiety, as SSRIs are used to treat both anxiety and depression. Never hesitate to ask about your diagnosis, as you have a right to your personal health information."

https://www.psycom.net/anxiety-depression-difference
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
      Marti - you might want to ask your Dr. on your next visit as to why they list this as a symptom. I know it's a common sx of MS, as well as anxiety, but s/he should be the one to explain why it's on your record.

Do you take medication for this? I take a pill that address both depression and anxiety.

"If you have anxiety, depression, or both, chances are that your doctor will recommend medication, therapy, or a combination of the two. Keep track your symptoms and keep a log of how you feel each day, as this can help in the diagnostic process. It’s also important to speak up and ask your doctor whether they think you have depression, anxiety, or both. This clarity can help you understand the treatment focus and how to manage your symptoms. For example, a patient who is prescribed an antidepressant like a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) may not realize that the medication has been prescribed for their anxiety, as SSRIs are used to treat both anxiety and depression. Never hesitate to ask about your diagnosis, as you have a right to your personal health information."

Thanks so much. I believe he thinks I have both problems. He tried to put me on a med for depression but it increased my palpitations. I don't need that one poking at me any more than it does already. The Dr. knows I am not good with meds. But, I do well with Xanax and now he doesn't want to refill it because I'm over 65. It's the one med that actually works for me! I'll have to see him soon and see what he says. I honestly do not think depression is a part of my problems. I took the US Navy test and it confirmed that I don't have depression. Of course, I realize that's only a short test on paper. Do I worry?? Oh yes.. all the time. And I have panic attacks that come out of nowhere. But I deal with a lot with Sam. So...... it might be a combo, but I still don't consider myself to be depressed. Thanks so much!
      Marti

Comment

I read this. I condensed it.
        Depression affects the body, mood and thoughts. It affects the way a person eats, sleeps and feels about themselves. It is not a passing blue mood. It cannot be wished away. It could include a loss of interest in activities.

Does any of that sound like you? I think suicidal thoughts are an extreme version of depression. One could be depressed without the depression being as severe as that.

Sometimes, the only way out of a depression seems to be medication because it changes brain chemistry.

I had a deep 4 month depession in 2003. I was not suicidal. I wasn't even "sad". I just felt nothing. Symptoms did not begin to improve until I started an antidepressant.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
          I read this. I condensed it.
          Depression affects the body, mood and thoughts. It affects the way a person eats, sleeps and feels about themselves. It is not a passing blue mood. It cannot be wished away. It could include a loss of interest in activities.

Does any of that sound like you? I think suicidal thoughts are an extreme version of depression. One could be depressed without the depression being as severe as that.

Sometimes, the only way out of a depression seems to be medication because it changes brain chemistry.

I had a deep 4 month depession in 2003. I was not suicidal. I wasn't even "sad". I just felt nothing. Symptoms did not begin to improve until I started an antidepressant.

Okay I think I see what you both are saying. I'm not sad but I am exhausted from being sick absolutely every day of my life and from trying to juggle my own illnesses and my husband's declining illness. Yes, I don't have much interest in activities because everything exhausts me. I never know how sick I will be feeling so I don't make any plans. It's not just the MS. I am really, really fighting with the Gastritis and IBS lately. So of course, I have no desire to visit or do much of anything except the essentials. I don't even make appointments if I can help it. As far as the meds... I am not going to take anything that makes my palpitations worse. I've always had a bad time with meds... always seem to have intolerable side effects and surprises from many new ones that I try.

So, I know I am anxious and nervous. Maybe I have some depression. I don't know for sure. Thanks for the input and the advice. Sorry for you guys who have also gone thru this mess.
          Marti

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
            Every time I see a doctor I get the report of the visit. For awhile now they list "depression" as one of my ailments. I don't really know where they got that or who started it.

I do have a ton of anxiety. Panic attacks etc. But I don't feel like I'm depressed. To me depression is that feeling of being suicidal. Not me. All these doctors know I have a sick husband who is draining every last kernel of energy from me. It worries me that he is sick and that I don't feel adequate to take care of him all the time, but I am not depressed. (He still does many things for himself).

So what is the difference between anxiety and depression?
            In my opinon, they just want to put you on an AD that will be very hard to get off of. That way you become a patient for life.

Comment

Good psychological treatment can work better than Meds for many. The hard part is finding a competent one that you mesh with.

You can also go to amazon and order a workbook for Cognitive Behavior therapy for panic attacks. It has been very helpful for people who won’t leav home.
              Here is a top book:
              https://www.amazon.com/Mastery-Your-..._&dpSrc=detail

Comment

I think a lot of depression comes from loneliness, social isolation and feeling just generally sick.

Listening to the radio today where they said the best “cure” for depression (unless it really is a chemical imbalance, like Bi-polar) was getting out and about, doing things, feeling useful etc. Had to laugh.
                I don’t believe I have a chemical imbalance; I’m prone to feeling a tad miserable precisely because I can’t get out and about.

Anti-depressants might help dull the pain, but nothing will actually change. Still can’t walk or work - which is what is causing the problem in the first place.
                Good luck.

Comment

While I definitely agree that strategies other than anti-depressants (therapist/psychologist, cognitive behavior therapy, even exercise, sunshine, socialization, etc) might help.

If you are experiencing a chemical depression, meds can help improve your mood, help you sleep better, and increase your appetite and concentration. Antidepressants work by balancing chemicals in your brain called neurotransmitters that affect mood and emotions. Do you just have "the blues", are you grieving your losses, or is it a chemical depression?

Here are several quotes from this article: https://secure.nationalmssociety.org...ook_depression
                  In fact, studies have suggested that clinical depression, the severest form of depression, is more frequent among people with MS than it is in the general population or in persons with other chronic, disabling conditions...

Depression is often hard to distinguish from grief. Persons with MS may experience losses-for example of the ability to work, to walk, or to engage in certain leisure activities. The process of mourning for these losses may resemble depression. However, grief is generally time-limited and resolves on its own. Moreover, a person experiencing grief may at times be able to enjoy some of life's activities.
                  Clinical depression is more persistent and unremitting, with symptoms lasting at least two weeks and sometimes up to several months. It's important to distinguish between mild, everyday "blues" that we all experience from time to time, grief, and clinical depression. Clinical depression, which must be diagnosed by a mental health professional, is a serious condition that produces flare-ups known as major depressive episodes.
                  ~ Faith
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                    While I definitely agree that strategies other than anti-depressants (therapist/psychologist, cognitive behavior therapy, even exercise, sunshine, socialization, etc) might help.

If you are experiencing a chemical depression, meds can help improve your mood, help you sleep better, and increase your appetite and concentration. Antidepressants work by balancing chemicals in your brain called neurotransmitters that affect mood and emotions. Do you just have "the blues", are you grieving your losses, or is it a chemical depression?

Here are several quotes from this article: https://secure.nationalmssociety.org...ook_depression
                    In fact, studies have suggested that clinical depression, the severest form of depression, is more frequent among people with MS than it is in the general population or in persons with other chronic, disabling conditions...

Depression is often hard to distinguish from grief. Persons with MS may experience losses-for example of the ability to work, to walk, or to engage in certain leisure activities. The process of mourning for these losses may resemble depression. However, grief is generally time-limited and resolves on its own. Moreover, a person experiencing grief may at times be able to enjoy some of life's activities.
                    Clinical depression is more persistent and unremitting, with symptoms lasting at least two weeks and sometimes up to several months. It's important to distinguish between mild, everyday "blues" that we all experience from time to time, grief, and clinical depression. Clinical depression, which must be diagnosed by a mental health professional, is a serious condition that produces flare-ups known as major depressive episodes.

Truthfully I just don't think I have depression. Okay.. maybe a little. I'm more exhausted and anxious about the future. But just in case... how would we know if someone had a chemical depression? Is there a test?
                    Marti

Comment

Medical tests to prove that "chemical imbalances" exist are extremely debatable. It is something that has been suggested by the pharmaceutical industry that continues to be believed as fact. I suggest you read "A Mind of Your Own" by Kelly Brogan, or do some research. I do, however, believe strongly in the placebo effect, and I know that many people are helped greatly by anti-depressants.

Comment

Originally posted by samanthaelizabeth View Post
                        In my opinon, they just want to put you on an AD that will be very hard to get off of. That way you become a patient for life.
                        I disagree with your opinion and that is ok but important to note there are in fact antidepressants that are not difficult to discontinue.
                        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                        Anonymous

Comment

Marti

Maybe you don't have it. If your regular primary physician diagnosed you, it might be worth considering an appointment with a psychiatrist. Not a psychologist. Psychiatrists specialize in that.

It could be initially caused by something situational (your husband's health) but then progress to chemical depression. That's what happened to me.

I'd look for some of these signs. You likely won't have all of them.

Disregard for personal appearance, change in appetite, isolating yourself / choosing to be alone, trouble concentrating / lack of organization, engaging in risky behaviors, stress rising above normal levels, loss of interest in normally enjoyable activities, maybe sadness but for me it was "emptiness".

Yes, some psychiatrists want to keep you on antidepressants forever. I had to be very assertive in getting off. In my situation, I truly believe I needed to be on at the height of my depression. But when I felt better, I was able to taper off. Don't quit suddenly. That was 15 years ago and I've never needed to go back on. But I don't regret going on temporarily. I needed it.
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

Seasha thank you for your answer. I wasn't meaning to start a whole thing here. Just wanted to know the differences between the two conditions. I honestly do not believe I am depressed. Sure I feel bad for Sam. He doesn't deserve to be so sick. And I worry about him. It wears me out. But I'm not (what my mind tells me) depressed. I understand that the same meds often work for both anxiety and depression. My problem with this one (Sertraline) is that I took a half pill and it kicked my palpitations into gear. So now I'm scared off of it.
                            Marti

Comment

I have upmost respect for you, Marti, for taking care of your dear husband. I honestly don't know what I would do or will have to do if my husband becomes ill. We are both aging being 65+.

I take 20mg of Celexa(for depression and anxiety), but don't feel depressed. But I have always been on the anxious side and I'm sure it take the edge off. I also meditate and do yoga which helps tremendously! If you want to explore meditation, try searching for at-home meditation practices.

Studies on the relaxation response have documented the following short-term benefits to the nervous system:

Lower blood pressure
                              Improved blood circulation
                              Lower heart rate
                              Less perspiration
                              Slower respiratory rate
                              Less anxiety
                              Lower blood cortisol levels
                              More feelings of well-being
                              Less stress
                              Deeper relaxation

If you are interested - https://www.gaiam.com/blogs/discover...inner-s-how-to This site explains the different types of meditation.

Even 5-10 min each day can have a positive effect.
                              Even deep breathing for a minute or two a few times a day has a positive effect.

Take care, Marti. You have a lot on your plate
                              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                              X