This is ridiculous-Now they have an antidepressant for Progressive MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is ridiculous-Now they have an antidepressant for Progressive MS

Researchers from the University of Calgary in Canada suggest that an antidepressant called clomipramine should be explored as a treatment for progressive multiple sclerosis, a less common form of the neurological disease, for which there are hardly any effective medications.

I swear they want to prescribe antidepressants for everything!

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320478.php

somewhat makes sense

It somewhat makes sense when you read the article. I would personally change my diet to do all that. But, many people want a pill to pop.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Originally posted by kelm10 View Post
      It somewhat makes sense when you read the article. I would personally change my diet to do all that. But, many people want a pill to pop.
      No need for diet changes to take a TCA.

This is an old antidepressant and in all fairness antidepressants have been shown to have an effect on inflammation. I like that it is a generic and therefore affordable. I take their conclusion with a total grain of salt due to the fact that they tested on a mouse model which in my opinion isn't totally worthless but they very often do not translate to humans.

My major concerns of this medication and one of the reasons its not utilized often is this class is lethal on OD. It has anticholinergic properties which can be problematic in older people. It also should be monitored with EKG and periodic blood levels. The garden variety SSRIs, most generic also, would likely have the same effects on inflammation without any of the above.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28342944
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

[QUOTE=Jules A;1506939]No need for diet changes to take a TCA.

Correct. But, there is studies out there that is looking at there are foods that cause inflammation. Hence why I would change my diet. Which I have. But, I also take a standard garden variety SSRI, also.
        God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

[QUOTE=kelm10;1506963]
          Originally posted by Jules A View Post
          No need for diet changes to take a TCA.

Correct. But, there is studies out there that is looking at there are foods that cause inflammation. Hence why I would change my diet. Which I have. But, I also take a standard garden variety SSRI, also.
          Gottcha. The data that is out there about the woes of inflammation on all types of disease processes is enough to scare the pants of me.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Working...
          X