Dairy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dairy

How many here keep dairy out of their diet? I am currently going through the relapse from hell, even though I have graduated top of the class to secondary progressive I still manage to get these damn relapses. So knowing I cannot rely on anybody or anything to help me other than me, I have started to seriously look at my diet inso far as dairy is concerned. I have always heard that dairy can be a problem in ms but never took it seriously until this latest relapse. I have recently come appreciate that the body produces antibodies to attack the protein in milk and Those same antibodies attack the myelin sheath. So I have now stopped drinking my coffee in the morning because I cannot drink it without milk and started with green tea.

I am just wondering how many here have eliminated dairy from their diet and have you noticed any improvement because of it?
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

I went dairy free (and gluten free) two months after dx in 2011. While I´ve had relapses and new lesions and physical and cog. sx, I do believe that diet matters a lot. I walk without an aid. I used to be a half and half fan for coffee and had to learn to drink it black- took a while, but I am still drinking coffee- and think of all those calories saved. When I took the plunge and stopped all dairy, my buzzing feet stopped buzzing that week. Now they buzz if I eat too much sugar, which I´ve tested numerous times. I now believe excess sugar to be a direct cause of numbness and muscle spasms within hours of consumption (my sensitivity to sugar has increased to the point that too much white rice will have the same effect). It would be worth committing to zero dairy for a month to see what happens. It´s likely not worth just cutting down on it. Check out Dr. George Jelinek in Australia for diet ideas and the rationale.

Comment

I cut it out

Originally posted by choco View Post
      How many here keep dairy out of their diet? I am currently going through the relapse from hell, even though I have graduated top of the class to secondary progressive I still manage to get these damn relapses. So knowing I cannot rely on anybody or anything to help me other than me, I have started to seriously look at my diet inso far as dairy is concerned. I have always heard that dairy can be a problem in ms but never took it seriously until this latest relapse. I have recently come appreciate that the body produces antibodies to attack the protein in milk and Those same antibodies attack the myelin sheath. So I have now stopped drinking my coffee in the morning because I cannot drink it without milk and started with green tea.

I am just wondering how many here have eliminated dairy from their diet and have you noticed any improvement because of it?
      i don't drink milk or cream in my coffee anymore, in fact I avoid all cattle products.

i eat Greek yogurt made from goat milk tho don't know if it's the same protein 🤷*♂️

Comment

Thank you both for your replies, it’s interesting because I started looking at goats cheese and have read that it too is a no-no. The protein may not be exactly the same but it is enough to irritate that which shouldn’t be irritated. Which is a real shame because I so much like my goats cheese 😩😩😩. From my understanding and research, “Casein in Goat Milk: Casein is a natural protein that is found in all milk. Many people have difficulty with Casein especially the Alpha S1 casein found in cow milk and so are allergic to cow dairy. Studies have shown that goat milk is very low in Alpha S1 casein and primarily contains Alpha S2 casein. “. So after reading that if you are any the wiser your ahead of me LOL
        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

Comment

I eat Greek yogurt everyday in the AM

Well it's hard to restrict a lot of diet foods, I just mostly concentrate on limiting sugar and sodium but as for Greek yogurt and feta cheese I have a hard time eliminating eliminating those as they are a stable in my diet. I make it a point to eat fresh sensibly and restrict anything from a cow, only grass fed beef I will consider eating.

i try and consume wild caught salmon and brown rice, beets, Brussel sprouts whole wheat bread, fresh fruit. I buy organic when I can but it's pretty pretty pricey.

my neurologist says diet really doesn't matter but as I disagree I still think I can eat sensibly and slowly/omit implement foods from my diet from sources like swank, Wahls, jelinek OMS.

it takes time and lots of study/research to build a diet that I will be comfortable with and enjoy.

im newly diagnosed so it's gonna take a lot of trial and error. One thing that's easy is reducing or eliminating sugar and consuming fresh fruit and vegetables.

Comment

It is really brilliant that you are doing is changing your diet just after you were diagnosed. The only change I made to my diet after I was diagnosed is that I limited my saturated fat intake a day to 20g. I wish I had known about dairy then, it is unbelievable that neurologists still refuse to make a correlation between what you eat and your health.

Comment

What you eat has a huge influence on your microbiota AND the neurotransmitters. Google the gut-brain axis and you´ll become hardcore about your diet. The good news is that you can change the microbiota profile within 24 hours. Fibrous veggies are your friend because there are good bacteria that dwell in the colon that feed off of that fiber- and if you don´t eat that type of fiber, the good bacteria starve. You can also google molecular mimicry to explain the dairy "ban."
              If you are going to eliminate bovine dairy, I would also eliminate dairy products from sheep and goats as well. At least eggs are not dairy- phew!

Comment

Changes

Lots of good info thx I guess all yogurt is a no go 😩
                I still cheat but making these changes is hard work, I will continue to fine tune my diet because I'm learning something every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
                  Google the gut-brain axis and you´ll become hardcore about your diet.
                  I will do, thanks for the heads up. I was sent this link by a friend of mine,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1WHn6D...ature=youtu.be

He explains so much about diet and MS and provides an excellent explanation about the dairy protein and how the immune system sees it as a foreign body and sends out antibodies to deal with it, but instead of just attacking the protein it also attacks the myelin sheath. Giving up dairy is hard, but dealing with MS attacks is even harder, so if I can quash the attacks by not having dairy, then it is a price worth paying.

Comment

That´s a good friend. I´m halfway through the video, thanks.

Comment

I've been cutting back on gluten since I discovered some gluten intolerances back in 2010. Not 100% free, by any means, but I especially watch the gluten/yeast combination because that seems to affect me more.

Because I read things about soy and dairy, I'm also careful about those. I don't have many occasions to have to worry about soy. For dairy, I use almost no cow's milk (almond milk instead, when I need milk). But, i eat cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc freely. Haven't noticed symptoms with dairy, but I just wonder if it's a good idea since it affects some people.
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
                        That´s a good friend. I´m halfway through the video, thanks.
                        Yes very good friend indeed, 😊 He has a number of videos up on YouTube, all very interesting from what I’ve seen. Also talks about starch and how he believes that to be beneficial as well. I am slowly working my way through his videos, all good stuff.

Comment

I recently went through the relapse from hell, and when you’re already near the bottom, that doesn’t leave much room for manoeuvre LOL. Now it’s only been a week since I have stopped putting milk in my coffee and eating cheese, those were the only two dairy items I would eat, but I seem to be going up instead of down. I can only think it has to do with the dairy. Having said that I did kind of go a bit mad with vitamin d. Having done some research and knowing anyway that vitamin d is essential (and come winter I get absolutely none from the sun because I can’t go out when it’s too cold i.e. below 50, believe it or not), I decided to up the anti-and go for mega doses. I then got a vitamin d test and wouldn’t you know I had done so too well, and am now borderlining toxic levels of vitamin d. So I stopped all vitamin d and dairy, now whether my improvement is due to one or the other or both I don’t know.

Comment

I haven't had a relapse since diagnosis in 2013. I still work full time and tutor on the side. I put either whole milk or half and half in my coffee, having 2-3 cups a day. I eat Talenti sea salt caramel gelato (first ingredient milk, second, skim milk) but like other "milky" deserts such as chocolate and cheesecake. I did switch to multigrains and a rice rather than a wheat base even before dx because it seemed my GI tract had become sluggish, but I'm not fanatical. I can't polish off a whole pizza like I did in college, but certainly won't turn down a slice or two if I'm craving it.

Comment

Mmmmm. Yes, but no. I have no doubt a good diet is important; however I don’t believe cutting out dairy or gluten is going to be the cure. (Or an essential part of a good diet, unless you have Celiac disease.)

Comment

Working...
                              X