Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS fatigue from insomnia

Hello all !

Does lack of sleep bring on MS fatigue for you? I've been having a harder time getting through the day at work whenever I have not slept the night before. I just can't push through and drink extra caffeine like other people without suffering an anxiety attack. So that just leaves me with feeling like I'm dead -literally - on my feet. I work in a large office and have to walk a lot. When I tell people I'm tired because I haven't slept, I don't think they really understand how fatigued I really am. Can anyone else relate?

Originally posted by VikingKitty View Post
    Hello all !

Does lack of sleep bring on MS fatigue for you? I've been having a harder time getting through the day at work whenever I have not slept the night before. I just can't push through and drink extra caffeine like other people without suffering an anxiety attack. So that just leaves me with feeling like I'm dead -literally - on my feet. I work in a large office and have to walk a lot. When I tell people I'm tired because I haven't slept, I don't think they really understand how fatigued I really am. Can anyone else relate?
    Hi VikingKitty

Yes - I remember all too well dealing with MS fatigue, brought on by lack of sleep, when I was still working.

I worked for the USPS at a processing/distribution center and had to walk a lot in a large building. It was rough!

There were many days of overtime work, and lack of sleep. The fatigue was unbearable!

I'm retired now on disability, so I can "catch up" easily if I don't sleep well.

I feel for what you're going through, as I know that it can be very difficult.

Wishing you restful nights!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I've had insomnia for years, even before I was dx with MS in 2001. But one of my favorite MS doctors believed I had MS long before I was dx.. even into childhood. It's a vicious cycle.... you can't sleep so you're tired. You're tired and you can't get to sleep. They seem to go hand in hand. And there doesn't seem to be much treatment that does not cause even more fatigue. I feel for you.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Darn I just inadvertently deleted everything I wrote. Grr. Anyway hello - getting a sleep study is well worth it bc if they find sleep apnea that's something you definitely want to deal with.

Limiting alcohol and high activity late in the day is always good. Also if you use your computer a lot - make sure you are setting your display to filter out that horrible blue that can also affect circadian rhythm and is not good in general. I use it 24/7. I don't know why I get annoyed when people suggest meditation but it truly works I've just never developed a regular habit. Deep breathing exercises are related and help too.

This is too specific for everyone but to keep my bipolar in check I take 1 mg of risperdal. Since I started I've been sleeping through the night without waking up once - something I haven't done in decades. If you want to go the medication route there are sleep aids out there. Also limiting fluids towards the end of day so that if you do wake up you don't have to actually get up.

Poor sleep can be brutal. Good sleep is paramount to good health and we have enough issues as it is. This is something to tackle and I wish you good luck and keep trying and keep an open mind to suggestions.

Take care,
        So

Comment

yes

Yes,

One of the reasons that I went on disability. When I was consistently coming into work dragging my bottom.

On top of some of the above suggestions. Consider some kind of walk aide/scooter for the walking at work, to help with some of the fatigue. Consider it like another office equipment to get through the day.

Another option for you to consider is utilizing Family Medical Leave options. You can take intermittent days off of work. You do not have to take a block of days. Or, you can be late to work. If your boss/work is able to accommodate that. Years ago, mine was written to be late, not work late, or time off during the middle of the day d/t doctor's appointments. That way I was covered and not easily dismissed. You still do not have to disclose what exactly you have MS. Just that you have something that is giving you this need to get through your day.
          God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Originally posted by VikingKitty View Post
            Hello all !

I had insomnia for years, and still do sometimes. I really suffer with the fatigue and even getting extra sleep doesn't always help. My adult grandchildren are visiting from Germany, and I fell asleep while my grand-daughter was talking to me. Fortunately she is a very understanding young lady and wasn't offended.

I take 150mg of Trazodone nightly as well as 1mg Xanax xr. This helps me sleep but often leaves me groggy the next day. The Xanax helps with the anxiety. I used to take it in the morning but, after talking with my PCP, I started taking it before bed. Fortunately I am retired so I don't have the issues with work, and I have a lot of respect for the people who need to keep working with this awful disease. I am afraid I haven't offered any helpful suggestions, but at least I can understand what you are going through. You have my admiration and my best wishes, as well as my hope that you can find a solution.

Comment

Thanks to all that replied!

*Koko -- when I have to work and have had insomnia the night before, the way I catch up on sleep is napping in my car on my lunch break, weather permitting. If not, I nap sitting up in the stairwell at work. 😊 At least if I can get a nap in, I can drag my way through the rest of the day.

*Sardi_g -- I have considered a sleep study and wonder sometimes if it's sleep apnea. I've been told that I stop breathing at times when I sleep. I do follow good sleep hygiene I don't drink any alcohol at all. I try to do mindless things about an hour before bed.

*Flange head, I was prescribed Trazodone on my doctor. I haven't tried it yet because I'm afraid of it making me groggy the next day. There are times where I'm falling asleep at my computer as it is. Not all the time but I just worry if I have medication in my system it's just going to make it harder to stay awake. I only have about 12 years to retirement hopefully I can make it that long. 😊 At least the insomnia is intermittent. But still a pain in the butt when I have it.

Comment

Working...
              X