Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Service Dog

Hello all!

I just wanted to put some info out there in hopes that someone who needs it will see it. A service dog group called Canine Support Teams (located in Southern California) is currently accepting applications from disabled people who need a service dog. Many groups have an eternally long waiting list and charge astronomical amounts for a service dog. That is not the case with this group. I have heard people say they lost hope in finding a place to get a service dog - until they found out about Canine Support Teams.

They train service dogs for all types of disabilities except for visual impairment and autism. Some examples of what they do train for is wheel chair assist, balance/mobility assist, medical alert, PTSD, and much more. These dogs can open doors, turn on and off the lights, pick up dropped items, help you get dressed and undressed, open and shut cupboards, refrigerators, etc., and help you make transactions at the bank or store. The list could go on.

Service dogs are absolutely life changing for their handler. They open so many doors for their disabled handler - figuratively and literally. If you know of ANYONE who may need a service dog, please pass on the info! It is very hard to find a good group to get a service dog from, and Canine Support Teams is definitely a great group! They are a very small organization, so are very passionate about what they do. The founder, who is in a wheel chair herself, is very much involved and is said to be the heart of the group.

Please check them out! Please post if you have any questions about them, I puppy raise for them so might be able to answer your question.

Thank you for posting that service dog source. A while ago I was having quite a time finding an organization from which to get any service dog. Wish I had been aware of yours.

With time, I decided I specifically wanted a greyhound. I am happy to say there's now a dog in training to become a mobility-assist service dog for me, and I can hardly wait (greythearts.com).

I agree with you and urge others to look into how a service dog might be a help.

Comment

Originally posted by DogMa View Post
      Thank you for posting that service dog source. A while ago I was having quite a time finding an organization from which to get any service dog. Wish I had been aware of yours.

With time, I decided I specifically wanted a greyhound. I am happy to say there's now a dog in training to become a mobility-assist service dog for me, and I can hardly wait (greythearts.com).

I agree with you and urge others to look into how a service dog might be a help.
      Im so glad you were finally able to find a good place to get a service dog from! Good places are definitely hard to find. Which is exactly why I am trying to put the word out there!

Comment

Service dog

I got a German Shepherd that I want to have trained for a service dog. She is less than a year old and I have taught her the basic commands: sit, stay, come, down, and stop. What do I need to find someone to take her to the next level. She is 10 months old now.
        All sunsets are beautiful, but the most amazing sunsets have a few clouds.

Comment

Originally posted by sulphur kennel View Post
          I got a German Shepherd that I want to have trained for a service dog. She is less than a year old and I have taught her the basic commands: sit, stay, come, down, and stop. What do I need to find someone to take her to the next level. She is 10 months old now.
          Contact Canine Support Teams! As long as your dog passes their temperment tests and they think it will make a good service dog for you, you can do owner train through them. They will help you turn your pup into a fully trained service dog for you. You could shoot them an email at cstmain@caninesupportteams.org

Comment

Thankyou for posting this...Service Dogs can change peoples lives. 🌷🌷🌷
            Katie
            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
            "My MS is a Journey for One."
            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X