Question For Empty Nesters on SSDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question For Empty Nesters on SSDI

This is a pretty straight forward question, I thought, but getting different answers. I posted this before under the SSDI Lawyer area but there was no response, so I hope the mods don't mind me asking this here:

Do your children stop getting an SSDI check at age 18 (through you, not if they are actually disabled themselves...) even if they are full-time college students with no other income of their own?? My daughter is a junior in high school and I desperately need to address this now.

Thanks!
    Tawanda

Hi Tawanda-

This from Disability Secrets - "Children who are younger than 18 (or 19 if a full-time student) and have a parent who is currently receiving Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) or Social Security retirement benefits (or who had earned enough Social Security credits to earn one of these benefits before dying) may be able to collect dependents benefits based on their parents’ records, whether they are disabled or not."

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/re...-disability-be

Hope this helps!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
      Hi Tawanda-

This from Disability Secrets - "Children who are younger than 18 (or 19 if a full-time student) and have a parent who is currently receiving Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) or Social Security retirement benefits (or who had earned enough Social Security credits to earn one of these benefits before dying) may be able to collect dependents benefits based on their parents’ records, whether they are disabled or not."

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/re...-disability-be

Hope this helps!
      Thanks...this is exactly what I needed to know. I wish full-time college students could continue to receive auxillary benefits for 4 more years, but guess not.

I have no idea how I am going to get my kid through college. She was a baby when I was diagnosed. Food, healthcare and shelter were all I worried about and we did get her her hooked up with the basics. This day seemed so far off. She's almost an adult! What?
      Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
        I have no idea how I am going to get my kid through college.
        There's help for that through the NMSS scholarship program! This program helps highly qualified students who have been diagnosed with MS or who have a parent with MS achieve their dreams of going to college.

Visit:
        https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Li...am-Information

Your daughter is a Junior now? I can't remember when students apply for college - my kids are all in their 30's and 40's, but I'm sure you will know when it's time. The above program application is from Nov. 1 - Jan. 31st 2018.

Good luck to you and your daughter

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          There's help for that through the NMSS scholarship program! This program helps highly qualified students who have been diagnosed with MS or who have a parent with MS achieve their dreams of going to college.

Visit:
          https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Li...am-Information

Your daughter is a Junior now? I can't remember when students apply for college - my kids are all in their 30's and 40's, but I'm sure you will know when it's time. The above program application is from Nov. 1 - Jan. 31st 2018.

Good luck to you and your daughter
          Thank you do much! My DD has no clue what she wants to be (undeclared I guess) but she is itching to be on her own and community college does not excite her, but it may be that or getting a job!

I know you are grieving right now. I am so touched that you took the time to help me out. (((Seasha))).
          Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
            Thank you do much! My DD has no clue what she wants to be (undeclared I guess) but she is itching to be on her own and community college does not excite her, but it may be that or getting a job!
            Oh how I remember when my kids went through this- All of them changed their majors in college half way through! Hopefully, she'll choose college over a job.

I know you are grieving right now. I am so touched that you took the time to help me out. (((Seasha))).
            No problem, Tawanda - this keeps me busy and I'm happy to help. I'm doing OK, btw.

Comment

Working...
            X