Numbness and exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numbness and exercise

My issues are mainly sensory - my leg and foot has a numb feeling all the time - but not completely numb, just reduced sensation. When I walk, it gets progressively more and more numb. Anyone know the actual reason behind this? Like, if the signal between my spinal cord and leg is already messed up, why does walking make it worse? It will return to the previous state of semi-numb after about an hour of resting. I can go for short walks no problem - like 25 mins, but I walked for an hour yesterday and my leg was getting really numb by the end of that walk.

Originally posted by sarabeach123 View Post
    My issues are mainly sensory - my leg and foot has a numb feeling all the time - but not completely numb, just reduced sensation. When I walk, it gets progressively more and more numb. Anyone know the actual reason behind this? Like, if the signal between my spinal cord and leg is already messed up, why does walking make it worse? It will return to the previous state of semi-numb after about an hour of resting. I can go for short walks no problem - like 25 mins, but I walked for an hour yesterday and my leg was getting really numb by the end of that walk.
    Hi sarabeach

I could have written your post, but substituting motor issues for sensory.

I can be up on my feet to stand or walk for only about 30 consecutive minutes, as it becomes progressively more difficult to move with each passing minute, and my balance issues worsen.

After 30 minutes, I can barely move my legs at all, and my balance is terrible.

Then, after about a 45 min rest, I can move my legs again, and my balance improves, back to baseline ability.

Anyone know the actual reason behind this? Like, if the signal between my spinal cord and leg is already messed up, why does walking make it worse? It will return to the previous state of semi-numb after about an hour of resting.
    I've wondered the same thing. Why does repetition cause the impaired nerve signals to become even more impaired, and then what makes them better after resting?

If I can find the answer, I'll come back here and post it!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

sarabeach

I forgot all about the rise in body temperature causing further impairment of nerve signals. Just moving around can increase our core body temperature.

Even a one-quarter to one-half of a degree increase in body temperature can cause symptoms for some of us. (And we probably wouldn't even feel any warmer.)

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Liv...re-Sensitivity

Take Care
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

You get tired. And thanks to MS, your nerves "heat up" and nup, them there legs get stiff and wonky.
        Back in the day, I could walk forever, but now - not at all without clutching a wheelie-walker.
        It's taken since 1996, so could be worse. 🙄

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
          You get tired. And thanks to MS, your nerves "heat up" and nup, them there legs get stiff and wonky.
          Back in the day, I could walk forever, but now - not at all without clutching a wheelie-walker.
          It's taken since 1996, so could be worse. 🙄
          Thinkimjob

I can relate with what you're saying. I need the bilateral support of a rollator too, and I am unable to even stand without it.

But you're right that things could be worse. I'm thankful every morning that I can get up (sometimes with difficulty) and that I can walk at all, even if it is quite "wonky".

Take Care

Comment

I've always wondered that...

Hi!

i have the same issue! I now walk with a cane to help keep me from falling on my face because the more I use my leg the weaker and more tingly it gets. It's been such a huge struggle for me because I want to exercise but between my dead leg and my dizziness I haven't been able to do much.

I didn't understand how repetition made it worse. I try riding my bike on a trainer using pedal straps so my foot doesn't fly off but it's a struggle to do more than 10-15 mins. Then I have to rest for a period of time to restore the functionality of my bum leg.

Whats a rollator by the way?

Wishing you you all the best!
            DX 2005 RRMS. Did 2nd round of Lemtrada Jan 2018. DX SPMS 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Starla View Post
              Hi!

i have the same issue! I now walk with a cane to help keep me from falling on my face because the more I use my leg the weaker and more tingly it gets. It's been such a huge struggle for me because I want to exercise but between my dead leg and my dizziness I haven't been able to do much.

I didn't understand how repetition made it worse. I try riding my bike on a trainer using pedal straps so my foot doesn't fly off but it's a struggle to do more than 10-15 mins. Then I have to rest for a period of time to restore the functionality of my bum leg.

Whats a rollator by the way?

Wishing you you all the best!
              Hi Starla

A rollator is a walker with wheels (mine has 8" wheels and a seat for when I need to sit).

Take Care

Comment

Heat is an interesting idea. I have never found heat to effect me that much - but perhaps it could be and I don't even realize it. I also have one part of my face that is also tingly/numb all the time like my leg, but it doesn't get worse with exercise.

Comment

Heat is an interesting idea. I have never found heat to effect me that much - but perhaps it could be and I don't even realize it. I also have one part of my face that is also tingly/numb all the time like my leg, but it doesn't get worse with exercise.
                  sarabeach

I hear what you're saying.

Sometimes my eyes get blurry and difficult to focus with increased temperature/overactivity/fatigue, and sometimes they don't. But my legs and balance always seem to be affected by these.

No idea why that is. Maybe it has to do with the degree of damage (demyelination)?

In any case, MS is a very weird disease.

Take Care

Comment

sarabeach

Does your primary and neurologist know this is happening?

It could possibly be a pinched nerve in the back. The only way to know this for sure is an MRI of the whole back, but, especially the lower or lumbar area.

It could be MS and the heat, too.
                    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

I can so relate to many of these post. I have to walk and rest, walk and rest and always with my rollator or my now, 4 leg cane. Like KoKo, I also thank God that I can still walk even if it is what thinkimjob called wonky walking.

I can walk across the floor and my legs feel like I have done 100 squats. If you ever watched Jane Fonda exercise video when she would say, feel the burn, that's what my legs feel like every time I walk and for as long as I walk. Anyone else have that sx?

sarabeach, I hope you find answers and the numbness gets better.
                      God Bless Us All

Comment

Neuro said - "If your leg gets numb when you walk, go for shorter walks instead"

Originally posted by kelm10 View Post
                        Does your primary and neurologist know this is happening?

It could possibly be a pinched nerve in the back. The only way to know this for sure is an MRI of the whole back, but, especially the lower or lumbar area.

It could be MS and the heat, too.

Comment

Working...
                        X