MRI in 2 sessions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRI in 2 sessions

do any of you have issues with the 3 hours of MRI? My neuro always orders brain and cervical spine, with and without contrast. By the time they have hit hour 2 my legs start spasming and moving. The tech gets frustrated b/c he has to start over ADDING MORE TIME..... finally asked him if he understood what MS is? yeah... sarcasm... I should learn to shut up.

so now I do it over 2 different days. That means there are 2 days the contrast has to be injected. Gotta say I am uncomfortable putting contrast through my body twice. Has anyone heard if that is an issue? Does anyone else do a different protocol or method?

thank you for your input.

karen
    You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

To answer your question, I have had MRI with and without contrast 3 times, over the past 7 years. Aside from the first time, where I was quite anxious, the procedure was uneventful. The MRI techs have been very comforting and professional.
    I'm sorry that you have had this problem with the MRI. Sounds like your neurologist needs to write a 'magic pill' script for you, next time. Good luck

Comment

Hi zilphia01,

What about making sure all of the MRIs without contrast is done, possibly stretching them out over the two days. On that second day have the MRIs with contrast. Contrast MRIs go much quicker than the none contrast MRIs.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

snoopy

I tried to get both contrasts on the same day, but the lady from the mri place said insurance will not allow that. She stated I HAD to do it her way, which is brain w/ and w/out.... then I have to wait at least 3 days between and can then to cervical w/ and w/out.

I am suspicious that MAYBE she was just not listening to what I was asking. I may call the insurance people myself. Probably should have done that, but did not. I am trusting the office staff.
        You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

My radiology place won't schedule more than 2 procedures each day, so there's no way to get Brain, c-spine and t-spine done all in the same day.

I typically do the brain and c-spine on the same day, but it's never 3 hours long, even with contrast! At most it's been 1 1/2 hours.

If it's not working for you, I would schedule the brain one day and the c-spine a 2nd day. And/or find another radiology place where they would at least be nicer/more understanding to you! Bottom line for them, is they are a business--if you're not satisfied with their care, you can take you business elsewhere!

Comment

Some studies have shown that the contrast agent can cross the blood brain barrier. But the most recent 2 year FDA study indicated they could see no harm caused by this. However, they did recommend that doctors try to limit their patients exposure to the contrast agent. So if routine MRI and relapse not suspected, then without contrast may be fine.

The other issue with contrast is for people whose kidneys are not functioning normally. Healthy kidneys usually clear 90% of the contrast within 12-24 hours.

Good luck with your tests.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X