Anyone ever get hyperactive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever get hyperactive?

I think it's because of my husband and his illnesses, but I'm finding myself unable to relax or stop moving at times. I'm constantly roaming around the house or outside in the yard. Finding little things that need to be done and in general wearing myself out.

But sometimes I wonder if the MS has something to do with this. I go and go and then can't rest or sleep. Try to sit and read but can't concentrate on it. Try to take a nap and just can't relax my body or mind enough.

I've had insomnia for years and have to take one of my "little friends" almost every night. I'm to the point of being afraid to try to sleep without my helpers. I've tried, but can't get to sleep. Some nights my mind is just too active. I'm constantly thinking.... old thoughts, new thoughts, past events or I just get stuck on something that just happened.

Of course, some nights it's just pain that keeps me awake.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this hyper feeling.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Hi marti

I can fall asleep ok, but do wake up every few hours sometimes.

Fortunately I don't have pain to keep me awake. Sorry to hear that you do have pain marti.

Originally posted by marti View Post
    I'm constantly thinking.... old thoughts, new thoughts, past events or I just get stuck on something that just happened.
    I can relate to "getting stuck on something that just happened". Usually it's when I get myself into one of my MS predicaments and I have to call one of my sisters or brother-in-laws to come over to help me.

My mind will usually be stuck on what happened for a couple of days. For me, I think it's fear that causes my mind to get stuck like that and keeps my mind replaying it over and over. That in turn causes the feelings of anxiety.

I have to work hard at calming my insides down, and turning my mind off from the fearful thoughts.

I'm sure that you are under a lot of stress with taking care of yourself, as well as caring for your husband.

Hopefully you can get some good sleep, as lack of sleep can mess with our minds during the daytime.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I'd discuss with your physician. This could be many things including but of course not limited to anxiety, a medication reaction such as akathisia or a mood disorder.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
        I think it's because of my husband and his illnesses, but I'm finding myself unable to relax or stop moving at times. I'm constantly roaming around the house or outside in the yard. Finding little things that need to be done and in general wearing myself out.

But sometimes I wonder if the MS has something to do with this. I go and go and then can't rest or sleep. Try to sit and read but can't concentrate on it. Try to take a nap and just can't relax my body or mind enough.

I've had insomnia for years and have to take one of my "little friends" almost every night. I'm to the point of being afraid to try to sleep without my helpers. I've tried, but can't get to sleep. Some nights my mind is just too active. I'm constantly thinking.... old thoughts, new thoughts, past events or I just get stuck on something that just happened.

Of course, some nights it's just pain that keeps me awake.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this hyper feeling.
        Hi Marti.

I am sorry to hear that things have not gotten better for you re: caretaking for husband. It IS a job!
        Quick up-date on my situation and then I will tell you how I manage.

As you may remember my husband had a brain hemorrhage in October of '16 and spent 2 weeks in ICU. He was dx'ed with an AVM and a couple of aneurysms. As a result of the hemorrhage he had vision loss, seizures and cognitive deficits. We have been trying treatments since then to minimize the risk of additional hemorrhages, but on April 27 he had brain surgery (lasted 12 hours ) to remove the AVM. The surgery was successful in the goal of removing the AVM, BUT since that was the 2nd traumatic event to his brain in less than a year he was left with even more vision loss, cognitive problems and the inability to comprehend words when trying to read. He really should have gone to an in-house rehab center when he left the hospital, but was in such a state of denial (depression) that he insisted on coming home. He is also insulin dependant diabetic, and the stress of this journey has totally throw his blood glucose reading into the pit. As of now he cannot operate his phone, read his mail, check his computer, drive or even draw his insulin up into syringe - all due to vision / cognitive problems.
        BTW he still has an aneurysm to get 'fixed'. And the other stuff I listed? It is considered as permanent.
        His LTD has been denied and so he has lost all income while creating new medical bills daily.
        Overwhelming? Hell yeah! It is no wonder that he is fighting major depression.

When this started I was like you - wandering around taking care of all the little things and wearing myself out. Worrying. Trying to think of ways out of this, things I could do to "fix" everything. As trivial as it sounds taking time to meditate each morning has helped.
        I start my day with a cup of coffee on the back porch Doing nothing but thinking of all the 'good' things that are in front of me. I have a couple of hummingbirds that visit every day. The wild birds always seem to be happy - even when it is raining . I talk to my Father then too. It seems to calm me down enough to start my day.

I have a whiteboard where I list my goals for each day. Be realistic when listing what you want to accomplish each day. Start with "have to" chores (I have to feed animals and get in eggs each day). There will be various other have to's for each day - some days it is doctor appointments or PT/OT. Some days it is managing paperwork or paying bills. Another day it may be a run to the grocery store and pharmacy.

Yeah the grass still needs cutting and yeah I have to get around to mopping one day, BUT I have developed a mindset of only attending to what is in front of me at that time.
        An example: my husband wants to worry about bills, and is always asking me about when this one or that one is due, and will I have the money to pay it and what other gloom and doom there is concerning finances. I am NOT saying to ignore them, but since our income is my SSDI check once a month wherever a bill comes in I check that the due date is AFTER the date I will recieve my check and then put it in the 'to pay' stack. On 'bill day' I stress about them - not all month long. I cannot do anything else about them but stress, and my life has enough of that without adding to it.

Something that I am trying to get my dh onboard with is that laughter is good medicine. Yeah when he forgets why he went into a room for something for the 3rd time he can get frustrated and mad about it or he can laugh about it. And you have to admit that some of the tactics we use to get things done are humorous - if they were not what we have to do.

Hopefully at least some of this makes sense to you and will help you learn to 'de-stress'. I think that may even help with your sleep if you can stop trying to do everything and start prioritizing what has to be done and what things you can realistically do about them.

BUT as Jules A suggested a trip to your doctor (yeah another one) is something to consider.

Hope things get better soon .

Comment

Originally posted by msgijo View Post
          Hi Marti.

I am sorry to hear that things have not gotten better for you re: caretaking for husband. It IS a job!
          Quick up-date on my situation and then I will tell you how I manage.

As you may remember my husband had a brain hemorrhage in October of '16 and spent 2 weeks in ICU. He was dx'ed with an AVM and a couple of aneurysms. As a result of the hemorrhage he had vision loss, seizures and cognitive deficits. We have been trying treatments since then to minimize the risk of additional hemorrhages, but on April 27 he had brain surgery (lasted 12 hours ) to remove the AVM. The surgery was successful in the goal of removing the AVM, BUT since that was the 2nd traumatic event to his brain in less than a year he was left with even more vision loss, cognitive problems and the inability to comprehend words when trying to read. He really should have gone to an in-house rehab center when he left the hospital, but was in such a state of denial (depression) that he insisted on coming home. He is also insulin dependant diabetic, and the stress of this journey has totally throw his blood glucose reading into the pit. As of now he cannot operate his phone, read his mail, check his computer, drive or even draw his insulin up into syringe - all due to vision / cognitive problems.
          BTW he still has an aneurysm to get 'fixed'. And the other stuff I listed? It is considered as permanent.
          His LTD has been denied and so he has lost all income while creating new medical bills daily.
          Overwhelming? Hell yeah! It is no wonder that he is fighting major depression.

When this started I was like you - wandering around taking care of all the little things and wearing myself out. Worrying. Trying to think of ways out of this, things I could do to "fix" everything. As trivial as it sounds taking time to meditate each morning has helped.
          I start my day with a cup of coffee on the back porch Doing nothing but thinking of all the 'good' things that are in front of me. I have a couple of hummingbirds that visit every day. The wild birds always seem to be happy - even when it is raining . I talk to my Father then too. It seems to calm me down enough to start my day.

I have a whiteboard where I list my goals for each day. Be realistic when listing what you want to accomplish each day. Start with "have to" chores (I have to feed animals and get in eggs each day). There will be various other have to's for each day - some days it is doctor appointments or PT/OT. Some days it is managing paperwork or paying bills. Another day it may be a run to the grocery store and pharmacy.

Yeah the grass still needs cutting and yeah I have to get around to mopping one day, BUT I have developed a mindset of only attending to what is in front of me at that time.
          An example: my husband wants to worry about bills, and is always asking me about when this one or that one is due, and will I have the money to pay it and what other gloom and doom there is concerning finances. I am NOT saying to ignore them, but since our income is my SSDI check once a month wherever a bill comes in I check that the due date is AFTER the date I will recieve my check and then put it in the 'to pay' stack. On 'bill day' I stress about them - not all month long. I cannot do anything else about them but stress, and my life has enough of that without adding to it.

Something that I am trying to get my dh onboard with is that laughter is good medicine. Yeah when he forgets why he went into a room for something for the 3rd time he can get frustrated and mad about it or he can laugh about it. And you have to admit that some of the tactics we use to get things done are humorous - if they were not what we have to do.

Hopefully at least some of this makes sense to you and will help you learn to 'de-stress'. I think that may even help with your sleep if you can stop trying to do everything and start prioritizing what has to be done and what things you can realistically do about them.

BUT as Jules A suggested a trip to your doctor (yeah another one) is something to consider.

Hope things get better soon .

I remember your husband's problems. And yours. Some of your suggestions are some I already have tried. Some days Sam is better. He even drove yesterday! Hardly ever does that.

It's just that I have to do absolutely everything. He won't even answer the phone. I've had to teach him simple things over and over. And truthfully, I am feeling pretty bitter about all this. I get so mad at him, but then I remember that he really can't help himself much. Although, I know he is enjoying the attention and all the babying he is getting. Our daughter was here on Monday and he acted just like a child. Once she left, he was more himself. And he decided that he knows more than the doctor and quit taking his medicine that helps with the encephalopathy. He claims to be conducting an experiment. UGH!

I've pretty much decided I was going to stop worrying about him if I can. I've told him that if his mind goes wonky again I would put him in the hospital. Didn't seem to phase him.

He is making one mess after another and I am up in the middle of the night cleaning. He can't see very well so he doesn't always realize what he's done. Yesterday he scratched his toe and when I came into the kitchen (gone 2 minutes) the whole room was covered in blood... even into the living room carpet. He was walking in the blood in his barefeet and carrying it everywhere. Another night he spilled red soda from one end to the other. Carpet cleaners are coming Wednesday. Had to tear down his bed that night and ran a lot of laundry the next day. All this is just wearing me down. I'm already MS-exhausted. This does not help.

Sorry to sound like a shrew. I have lost all patience and I almost just don't care anymore. He forgets that he is not the only sick person in this house.

I have discussed this with my neuro. All he could do was write a script for Zoloft. I tried it and had the worst palpitations! Don't want to fight with that all the time. I am taking Clonazepam and Xanax. They only help marginally.

Sam's illness is non alcoholic cirrhosis, likely brought on by Agent Orange. He does not deserve this, but who does??

So sorry to unload on you. I figure you have some understanding about a sick spouse. Thanks.
          Marti

Comment

Reading both of your posts just breaks my heart. I'm so sorry you both have the role of caregiver while your health isn't the best and suffers greatly from the stress.

Just wondering if either of your husbands are on Medicare? My girlfriend's husband has Parkinson's and through Medicare has a caregiver that comes over twice a week for a few hours to attend to his needs. This gives her a much needed break. If this doesn't apply to you both, do you have a friend or relative that could come over - even once a week - to help?

Hoping something can be arranged.. You shouldn't have to do this alone!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
              Reading both of your posts just breaks my heart. I'm so sorry you both have the role of caregiver while your health isn't the best and suffers greatly from the stress.

Just wondering if either of your husbands are on Medicare? My girlfriend's husband has Parkinson's and through Medicare has a caregiver that comes over twice a week for a few hours to attend to his needs. This gives her a much needed break. If this doesn't apply to you both, do you have a friend or relative that could come over - even once a week - to help?

Hoping something can be arranged.. You shouldn't have to do this alone!

Thanks Seasha. We are both on Medicare but have not taken advantage of any services. When Sam had C Diff last October we had Home health care. It was pretty much useless. They were never there when he was falling down or when he needed help in the night. All they did was check his vitals and give him PT. I ended up getting his meds mixed up a few times. It was a nightmare just trying to get it arranged for them to come at all. By the time we did get them the worst was over and I was worn down completely from all the cleaning, disinfecting, wiping his butt, giving him meds, trying to help him walk etc etc. He's a lot better now, but it's still a stressful situation.
              Marti

Comment

I could never call what I have "hyperactive" but there is such a distinct difference in how I feel in the morning (hypertired) and how I feel in the evening (better than in the morning) that I can't imagine MS doesn't have something to do with such a radical shift...
                Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                  ...Just wondering if either of your husbands are on Medicare? My girlfriend's husband has Parkinson's and through Medicare has a caregiver that comes over twice a week for a few hours to attend to his needs. This gives her a much needed break. If this doesn't apply to you both, do you have a friend or relative that could come over - even once a week - to help ...
                  Hi Seasha. Thanks for the suggestion .
                  I am on SSDI and dh is currently in the process of filing for it (hence the 'managing paperwork' part of my post). While I say that he is in the process, it falling on me. He cannot see well enough to do the paperwork, and his eye-hand coordination is so bad that he couldn't fill anything out even if he could see it. We decided that we will file once and if denied then retain an attorney. When he gets on SSDI (Medicare) I will certainly look into care assistance.

My daughter came out last week and cut the grass for us (broke my heart). While he was in the hospital she took care of the animals. I hate to ask her for anything because she has a husband and a child, a full time job and is going back to school right now for another position.
                  Several members of our church have volunteered to help, but the main things that I need help with now are not things that anyone other than I can actually do.

My husband and I have always taken care of each other, but now he is unable to take care of even himself. I will admit that my 2nd biggest fear since we entered this maze has been having a relapse (the main fear has been for his life). We are both making every effort to make sure that I have at least some 'downtime' daily, I am taking my meds and eating right. I believe that he is afraid of me having a relapse also.

But he is slowly improving. Ironic that many of his sx's are things that I have as symptoms of MS. So I can at least understand what he is talking about and offer some 'workarounds'. He has told me that he REALLY does not like my world .
                  His doctor lifted some restrictions from him this past week so he will be able to help me some now (50 pound feed bags, some simple household chores etc.). And hey, I hear at least 3x a day how wonderful a wife I am .

MARTI - I do understand. My husband makes messes when he tries to do things like fix something to drink or even get his dirty clothes in the hamper. I suppose our difference is that my husband IS concerned about how much more I am having to do. I too am having to teach him simple things over and over. He will answer his phone but realizes that if it is a doctor's office calling that I will have to take it.

I think that I am in more of a 'protecting' him mode than you are. When he was in the hospital I was forever running out student doctors, PT people, annoying nurses and even people that had come to see him. If I felt that they were doing nothing but getting on his nerves then it was out you go. I have to admit to being a real witch, but I had too much going on at that time to have the energy to deal with anyone making matters worse.

DO NOT feel guilty is he has to be hospitalized for not taking his meds. You cannot take care of him if he is not trying to take care of himself. And do not spend all of the time he is away trying to get to the hospital to see him or trying to get everything at home back right! Take some 'downtime' and do nothing .

Comment

Working...
                  X