It's all too much....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's all too much....

I know all about sensory overload and I know for a fact that when things start to 'compound' then EVERYTHING is just too much and will trigger a mood in me that some perceive as very angry or out-of-proportion to the events transpiring. I'm also pretty sure that many/most of you can relate to this.

Today was a perfect example. I woke up and quickly started dealing with bad fatigue. Add to that a highly unusual thunder/lightning storm here that was even bigger than those found as 'normal' in the Midwest (out here these kind of storms rarely even happen). The dogs went nuts---one of them being a puppy and never having heard that kind of noise made him glue himself to my leg and wouldn't leave me for even one minute! My little parrotlet started squawking as if being that loud would help me to make her world quiet again. Then the skies opened up and there was a monsoon that would've made any tropical location on this planet proud. The capper was having to pick up my husband at the train station and the traffic was at a crawl everywhere due to the weather. It all added up and became "too much" and I knew my mood was not going to be good when he got in the car with me.

Usually, I will take a nap when it all becomes too much. This 'reboots' me and I can move forward without plowing down anyone in my path. Tonight I didn't have that luxury. I tried to explain the "too much" thing to my husband but he feels that it should be something I can turn off if I really want to. I won't tell you what I thought when he said that! He's usually very understanding so this crack didn't go down well with me at all. Is there some article out there that I can have him read so that he understands what this is like and why I cannot control my mood when it's "too much?" To somehow make him understand how things compounding when one has MS is not the same as when they compound for those who do not have MS?

I don't have an appointment with my neuro for a few more months and I definitely will be having the hubs attend with me to discuss this issue, but until then, does anyone have any recommendations on how I can get him to understand?
    Wendy
    "There are signs everywhere...."
    "Life is wasted if it's not lived as an adventure."

Wow! We did have some thunder and heavy downpours today. I'm sorry that this compounded to having a bad day and your husband not understanding this sensory overload conditions.

I experience this too and usually fatigue sets it off in a bad way. Too much going on, too much noise, too many things going on at once. I try to remove myself from these situations if it can be done, which in some instances can't. It's really tiring, frustrating and tough.

There's an interesting article online called "My MS Sensory Overload Experience" through multiplescerosis.net. Another article is - http://www.healthline.com/health/mul...oad-triggers#1 by Healthline.

Maybe have your husband read this to get a better understanding. It's a good idea to have him come with you to your next neuro appt. Mine did at the beginning of my journey and it helped a lot. Hope you have better days ahead. You're not alone!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

That storm and then the drive sounds horrid!I think many of us can relate and something we need to consider is that while we can not control our moods we can control our actions to our moods. I'm not so much into expecting my husband to hear a blow by blow as to why I'm in a cruddy mood as just asking for some space and understanding if I'm snappy which I will try not to be.

You said your husband is usually understanding so I'd try to cut him some slack in the rare instance like this when he isn't as kind and patient as he normally is because he probably didn't have a delightful bumpy, smelly train ride with a bunch of strangers coughing in his general direction after a long day at work either.

As corny as it sounds coping skills such as deep breathing, guided imagery and even some types of structured therapy can really be helpful. Do some googling to see what might appeal to your situation. Here is a link I found informative. Best wishes.

http://www.goodtherapy.org/learn-abo...s/irritability
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Working...
      X