Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me

I have been a member of the group for a number of years but I don't think I Have posted for several years. I was diagnosed in 1966. I have gone through all of the things all of you have. I doubt if I have skipped any of them. But I don't think I've seen my present problem mentioned. Things are moving very fast but what bothers me most is My mind.

Frequently my mind goes totally blank. It is like a big dark hole. Nothing is in it. After a bit things will start to come back but it takes a bit of time for me to get back to where I was before this happened. It less then a minute it will happen again. At other times It may be an hour before I go blank again. My question Is "Is this something that has happened to any of you or am I just one of a kind?"

Lois

I remember you and welcome back! To answer your question, yes it happens to me too. Sometimes it's really embarrassing, especially when talking to someone and I totally forget what they said or what I was going to say. Total blank! It happens, but maybe not as frequently as you.

When I'm alone at home and in my own world/brain - it's OK cuz they know me in there I think some of my problem is also aging related.

If this is troubling you, be sure to call your neuro and make an appt to discuss this new development.

I wish you well.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hello Lois and welcome back.

When I am carrying on a conversation my mind goes blank, I will stop mid sentence and have to think about what I was saying, sometimes I can't even recall what I was talking about. This happens often. It's embarrassing and frustrating.

I am not sure if this is what you are experiencing.
      God Bless Us All

Comment

Hi lois,
        Yep, yep and yep. It's like your brain has tripped out and slowly reboots - not necessarily at the right info?
        At least if i type i can reread (and reread) what i write and on here check the info in the post that i'm answering.
        Everyone has experienced walking into another room and don't know what they went there for- but what your describing and that we all seem to have to deal with to some degree as part of ms is on a whole other level. It does sound like some of the other posts on msw to do with cognition problems- you may find it helpful to read some of them.

I don't think i could put sequence to 'blanks' as you describe but it does happen. Alone, while talking, trying to do something, driving.
        I does seem to happen more often if i try and do more than one thing at a time. Can't have a conversation while driving- i get dangerous! Don't have music playing if trying follow a recipe - i'll muck it up.etc. When i zone put while talking or listening it can be very embarrassing and frustrating.

My neuro has said that it is brain atrophy that is the primary reason for my increased cognition problems. Shrinkage is evident on mri's. Lesions stable. I'm going to have a cognition test soon to monitor. Fatigue contributes too- how about for you?

Have you discussed with doc? Is it possible for you to do a test?
        Hope this helps, look forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Well - here's a sign. Forgot to press submit yesterday and I can't remember what I wrote.

Remember writing it. It ends there.
          😊

Comment

Hi Lois,

Welcome back. I also remember you!

I experience the same, but not with the frequency you describe. I think mine is more correlated with fatigue, trying to multi-task, or the fact I am easily distracted now.

I'm assuming no new medications, supplements, diet changes? Since this is new for you and occurring frequently, a call to your neuro seems warranted. Do you get routine bloodwork? May be needed to rule out some causes. Likewise, do you still get MRIs?

I am sure this is very distressing for you. The quicker you can discuss with your doctor, hopefully, the quicker you can get answers. I would make sure to write your concerns, frequency, and examples down. If others have noticed, get their input as well. Then take the paper with you. Nothing more frustrating then trying to explain brain zaps and have one in the middle of it!
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by 1936siols View Post
              ...Things are moving very fast but what bothers me most is My mind.

Frequently my mind goes totally blank. It is like a big dark hole. Nothing is in it. After a bit things will start to come back but it takes a bit of time for me to get back to where I was before this happened. ...
              ... My question Is "Is this something that has happened to any of you or am I just one of a kind?"
              Lois
              Not sure .

I have the 'normal' memory problems (can't remember peoples names, where I know them from, what word I want to use, what I meant to say, ect.) but I also have something eerily similar to what you are describing. It seems to happen to me when I am driving.

I only drive during daylight hours and only local. And not in crowded areas. The best that I can describe it is like I suddenly 'come to' and will not know where I am or where I am going. The first time it happened I freaked out! If it had not been a wooded area I would have pulled over and parked. Nothing was familiar for several miles.
              Slowly I realized where I was (route I drove almost daily) and where I was going.

I have since learned to just continue driving in the same direction and to not panic. I call it "getting lost". Definitely a strange feeling. BUT if this happened to me as often as it is happening to you I would NOT be driving .

As pennstater suggested write your concerns, frequency, and examples down. If others have noticed, get their input as well. Talk to your neuro about this.

Good luck.

Comment

Me

Good morning All. Thanks to all of you for your responses to my question. This was something new to me. My concern was that my whole mind would go permenantly. This is such an unpredictable disease. I have had the IV treatments. I am doing Neuro therapy, physical and occupational therapy and being told I probably can't be, helped.

Today I am having CT scans of the brain and back. I cannot have an MRI because I have a pacemaker. My mind goes blank within minutes or again within hours. It will happen often within a days time. I have felt no pain from anything for 50m years. There are times I wish I would get a good old fashioned headache or something

Comment

For me- the scariest thing i've had to deal with is this feeling 'like i'm losing the plot' !!
                  I can cope better with needing a wheel chair than losing everything that is 'me'.
                  If it's a new symptom for you it's understandable that your concerned.

What IV treatments have you had? Sometimes meds can exacerbate some symptoms. Or maybe they have slowed them down. Are you on anything at the moment?

You may find it a difficult thing to do but your typing is understandable and quite concise. so at least on paper you can still express yourself..

I've been told that the natural downward spiral of mental abilities is quicker in ms patients but there is no way to tell how fast or slow it's going to happen. It's different for each of us and some plateaus can happen as well. I don't know if this can be considered helpful.'unpredictable'is right.

Please try and consider having no pain as a positive rather than another loss of normalcy.
                  How are you doing physically? Are you able to get some satisfaction out of an activity that your blanks in memory don't impact on?

Look forward to hearing how you ct scans go.
                  All the best.

Comment

Working...
                  X