Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Symptoms -- the difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Symptoms -- the difference

Snoopy wrote this as a comment on a different thread, in response to a question. I had never heard this explanation and I found it helpful, so I wanted to share it and give it its own thread. (Note: I changed the format of Snoopy's thread slightly, but not the content.)

Thanks, Snoopy, for sharing this information.

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
    This topic brought to mind a book, one of the very first books to be written on and about MS; Multiple Sclerosis -- A Guide for Patients and Their Families, by Labe Scheinberg.

Labe Scheinberg was my Neurologists Professor.

My Neurologist recommended I get the book and would probably need to order it. I went to the bookstore and looked for that book or any book on MS --- there wasn't anything, so I ordered.

In the chapter: Signs and Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis...

The signs and symptoms of MS can be called primary, secondary, or tertiary.
    • Primary symptoms are a result of an area of demyelination and include symptoms such as weakness, numbness, urinary incontinence, visual disturbance, and fatigue.
    • Secondary symptoms are complications that result from the primary ones including UTIs and pressure sores.
    • Tertiary symptoms include the emotional, social and vocational impact of the disease on the patient, family and community.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

I appreciated this one too. After 16 years of dealing with MS, I still have tons of new questions. Thanks all.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Working...
    X