Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medicare, SSDI, and turning 65? Be aware of this Medigap insurance issue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medicare, SSDI, and turning 65? Be aware of this Medigap insurance issue!

I have been on Medicare for several years, since I am on SSDI. I also had a Medigap policy which was very expensive since I was not 65 years old when it started. By very expensive, I mean my choices were $270 per month with a $2100 deductible or $775 per month. If I'd been 65, the premiums would have been a fourth of that.

Last year in July I turned 65. I had sort of assumed the premium would go down automatically. I really just forgot about it. In March of this year I realized I needed to do it myself, so I waited until "Open Enrollment" to call the insurance company.

I found out "Open Enrollment" only applies to Medicare, not Medigap. You can change Medigap coverage any time.

By missing the window of opportunity that is 3 months before and 6 months after I turned 65, I missed the opportunity to change insurance coverage with no questions asked. I was facing the possibility (or probability) of being turned down because of my health history. Plus, I paid those high premiums for 16 months!

Fortunately I have access to benefits advisory company that was able to find a "Guaranteed Issue" policy that will take me.

Just be be aware that this is an issue for those of us turning 65. I had no idea there was a time limit on changing Medigap coverage.

Thank you for sharing this experience with us and I hope it works out for you.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Working...
    X