Flu shot during relapse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flu shot during relapse?

I thought I had read that people with MS should wait until a flare up has settled before getting the flu shot - but I tried to do a little research and of course there is nothing that really makes me feel that one way or another it matters (much like most else I have read about MS - there are so many conflicting opinions)

Any advice from people who have experienced this?

Hi Sarah,

People who are experiencing a serious relapse that affects their ability to carry out activities of daily living should defer vaccination until 4-6 weeks after the onset of the relapse. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Liv...s/Vaccinations
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Last year I had a relapse not long after my flu shot. My doctor says she has seen this frequently. Now, I'm in the midst of a relapse and she says no flu shot for a couple of months anyway.

Comment

Unless you have an active infection of some sort -- cold, UTI, the flu itself, etc. -- everything I've read is that you should get a flu shot as early as possible in the flu season (early October).
        Flu shots cannot ever cause the flu (the viruses are dead,) and they do not trigger relapses.
        Flu shots do, however, prevent the flu -- which can cause MS relapses, misery, or even a life-threatening illness.

Comment

I'm sure there's not universal "right" answer - but my neurologist advised I wait until the relapse is over.

Comment

Originally posted by twain View Post
            Flu shots ... do not trigger relapses.
            That's not completely true. My last flu shot triggered a significant relapse that caused partial transverse myelitis. That's why it was, literally, my last flu shot.

Originally posted by twain View Post
            Flu shots do, however, prevent the flu
            That's not completely true, either. The US Centers for Disease Control say that flu shots reduce the risk of flu by about 50% to 60% in the general population. So the chance of getting the flu in spite of having a flu shot is still 40% to 50% in the general population.

Comment

During a relapse I would be hesitant to introduce any vaccine, new medication, etc. Your body is already in duress and there's little reason to further tax it with a vaccine that will further activate your immune system.

Until the end of your relapse, please take care of all the flu prevention methods including:
              • Avoid close contact. Avoid close contact with people who are sick. ...
              • Stay home when you are sick. ...
              • Cover your mouth and nose. ...
              • Clean your hands. ...
              • Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. ...
              • Practice other good health habits

I hope your relapse quickly subsides without zero residual damage!!!
              I wish you well ...

Comment

Originally posted by jreagan70 View Post
                That's not completely true. My last flu shot triggered a significant relapse that caused partial transverse myelitis. That's why it was, literally, my last flu shot.

That's not completely true, either. The US Centers for Disease Control say that flu shots reduce the risk of flu by about 50% to 60% in the general population. So the chance of getting the flu in spite of having a flu shot is still 40% to 50% in the general population.
                Thanks JReagan... I stand corrected. But MSer's should also know that the MS Society "generally recommends" flu shots for those of us with MS. And it says that the danger of the flu triggering a relapse is more significant that a flu shot triggering a relapse.

But, in answer to the original question -- it is recomended to wait for a shot if you are in a relapse.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X