Planning to fly -- Will ask for disability assistance -- Advice requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning to fly -- Will ask for disability assistance -- Advice requested

I have a flight from Wichita to Saskatoon scheduled on Friday, Sept. 23. I have to change planes in Denver and in Edmonton before I reach my destination. I will be flying alone.

In the past, before MS, flying alone wasn't an issue for me. Now, it creates anxiety.

I don't require disability assistance because of mobility; I need it because of my anxiety. I worry that I won't find my gate, that the gates might be far apart, that I might have to take the train thing in the Denver airport, I'll get to my gate late, I'll get mixed up about time changes, etc, etc. Just stupid stuff, but, anxiety is part of my life with MS -- just one of my symptoms.

I'll likely just bring my cane along so I "look" like I need assistance; that will create less anxiety for me. I'll probably just request assistance in the Denver and Edmonton airports as they are larger. The Wichita and Saskatoon airports are small. My husband will come in with me when I check in at Wichita, and my dad will be there to pick me up in Saskatoon.

• One question -- do I need to tip the people who push me around in the wheelchair? I don't even know what proper etiquette is for that.
    • Anything else I should know?
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Hi mamabug! I can walk but use a cane full time and am no speed walker! In order to have enough time to get to my next gate, and enough energy to enjoy myself once I reach my destination, I use a wheelchair in the airport (starting, transfer and destination). You can get a wheelchair right at the ticket counter when you are checking in and your husband can push you to security. I think he can take you to the gate as well, but will need a pass from the airline in order to get through security. He can get this at the ticket counter when you are checking in. You can call the airline to ask about this. Might help ease the anxiety a bit for you.

When you get off the plane at the "transfer" airport, a wheel chair and porter should be available right outside the door to take you up the jetway and to your connecting gate. All you need to know is your connecting gate information (concourse letter and gate #. Sometimes this will be printed on your ticket for the connecting flight. If not, or to make sure the gate hasn't changed, just ask the flight attendants before you land. They can usually get the information for you. If they can't get the information, just ask the porter if he/she can check the flight information board. These boards are all over the airport so easy to find one near by. Please don't worry, I have found that someone is always willing to help. When you reach your final destination, there will be a wheelchair available with a porter for you as well. It really is an energy saver. I hated using one the first time I flew after being diagnosed but now realize the benefits of saving energy to enjoy myself.

As far as tipping the porter, I usually tip $2 to $5 depending on how far they have to push me. The porters really know their airports and how to get from point A to point B in a hurry. Be sure that the airline knows you will need assistance well before your flight, especially if you choose to use a wheelchair. It needs to be stamped on your ticket or they won't know to have one available for you or a porter to push you. Even if you have already purchased your ticket, you can still call the airline to discuss assistance options and have it flagged on your ticket.

Have a safe and fun trip!
    RRMS: Diagnosed July 2013
    Assistive Device: cane.
    Meds: Copaxone, Ampyra, Vitamin D

Comment

Hi Faith,

I understand your anxiety...airports are confusing for normal folks, and present numerous challenges for MSers. I hadn't flown in a few years but recently flew and even though my sister was with me, I asked for mobility assistant. My mobility is an issue. I don't usually use a wheelchair, but definitely need one for longer distances. It also was my first time flying since I'd had my baclofen pump, and wondered what extra issues that might involve at TSA security points.

I used my own wheelchair, but the airport has wheelchairs available. If you tell them you are needing disability assistance, they are more than helpful. Since my sister is not able to push my
      wheelchair (I use a transport wheelchair) they assigned airport personnel to assist us on every leg of the journey. I think choosing that option would greatly ease your anxiety as they know where they're going, and they help you board, disembark, change planes, and help with luggage pickup.

As to tipping, I did. I just went to the bank and got a wad of $5 dollar bills, and tipped according to the amount of time, and distance involved in each leg of the journey. Most of the time I tipped $5, but for porters that took me longer distances, and were more involved in my assistance, I tipped $10.

Think about alerting the airline to your disability, I think you'll be glad you did.

Comment

These are all good tips, but one thing I'd like to add based on my experience of flying alone-
        If you have a layover at any of the airports, ask the porter to take you to the bathroom, if needed, before you reach your gate. Once I didn't ask, my flight was delayed and oh boy! that was iffy for me. There I sat in the gated area with no means of getting to the bathroom.

Of course, if you are mobile and able bodied that's no problem.

Another thing I always do before landing at any of my airports is to alert the flight attendants that you expect a w/c upon landing. Once or twice, the communication broke down and there was no w/c for me. Had to wait and wait... if you have a short layover time before your next flight, you will want that w/c available. I also tip $5 unless the distance is longer $7-10.

Enjoy your flight and vacation!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for all of the tips.

Tomorrow is the day. Will finish packing today, so I'm all ready to go. Hubby will park the vehicle and walk me in to help with check in and luggage, instead of just letting me off at the door to avoid parking, like we do for my daughter.

And, my dad will be in Saskatoon to help me at that end. So, I'll just request help for the plane changes at Denver and Edmonton.

I'll have to go through Immigration with my passport in the Denver airport, and that kind of bothers me when I'm by myself too. Usually we do it in the car and hubby answers all or most of the the questions.
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Asked for wheelchair assistance. Was really glad that I did. I thought I would need it, mostly, for anxiety. But, when I saw how much walking I would have had to do, I realized that, although I consider myself to be mobile, I would have needed it. I simply would have run out of stamina to do those distances, and probably would have missed one flight if I'd had to walk to the next gate.
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Glad to hear you had a positive experience traveling and hopefully a great trip! Wheelchairs in an airport are and MSrs best travel friend!
              RRMS: Diagnosed July 2013
              Assistive Device: cane.
              Meds: Copaxone, Ampyra, Vitamin D

Comment

Working...
              X