A strange experience...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A strange experience...

On Sunday afternoon, I got out of the car with normal (bit numb, bit stiff but nothing dramatic) legs.

I stood up and my legs started to go stiff. At this point I thought it would be a good idea to sit on the ground.

Didn't want to fall over. I thought maybe I could drag myself to my emergency wheelie-walker.

Made the mistake of lying on my side, made it to the wall of the house, sitting my with legs stuck out in the garden bed.

And that was it; I couldn't move my legs. Nothing would bend.

Like two very heavy tree-trunks. Peed my pants.
    Fortunately, I had my phone in my pocket. Rang the ambulance, explained the problem.

Two great big ambulance men arrived. They may have thought I was drunk. "We're going to try to stand you up"

"Good luck with that," I said. It was quite terrifying. I couldn't feel or move my legs at all. They couldn't bend my legs, either.

Anyhoo, went to hospital, lay flat (obviously) on the stretcher, drank a lot of cold water, cooled down, and miraculously two hours later, I had recovered.

Walked out with my wheelie-walker. Back to "normal".

So it was a pseudo-exacerbation, brought on by a three-hour afternoon tea with five shouting people in a hot room.

Scary stuff, but all's well that ends well.

Terrifying

Oh my, this had to scare you to death. I can only imaging what was going through your head. Curious if others have experienced that serious of a short term symptom, as far as not being able to bend. The opposite is generally more likely.

When my daughter was 17, she lost movement in her legs an had to be carried to the car and then w/c. She was admitted, and the idiot Dr, said she just had a UTI, really??? She slowly regained full movement and weight bearing over the next few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
      On Sunday afternoon, I got out of the car with normal (bit numb, bit stiff but nothing dramatic) legs.

I stood up and my legs started to go stiff. At this point I thought it would be a good idea to sit on the ground.

Didn't want to fall over. I thought maybe I could drag myself to my emergency wheelie-walker.

Made the mistake of lying on my side, made it to the wall of the house, sitting my with legs stuck out in the garden bed.

And that was it; I couldn't move my legs. Nothing would bend.

Like two very heavy tree-trunks. Peed my pants.
      Fortunately, I had my phone in my pocket. Rang the ambulance, explained the problem.

Two great big ambulance men arrived. They may have thought I was drunk. "We're going to try to stand you up"

"Good luck with that," I said. It was quite terrifying. I couldn't feel or move my legs at all. They couldn't bend my legs, either.

Anyhoo, went to hospital, lay flat (obviously) on the stretcher, drank a lot of cold water, cooled down, and miraculously two hours later, I had recovered.

Walked out with my wheelie-walker. Back to "normal".

So it was a pseudo-exacerbation, brought on by a three-hour afternoon tea with five shouting people in a hot room.

Scary stuff, but all's well that ends well.
      Hi Thinkimjob

Scary stuff is right. Glad you're ok.

Your scary experience is very similar to what my sister (my main care-helper) and I call "getting into a predicament".

I got into a very similar predicament a few years back, in the summer after a social gathering. While walking with my walker from my car to my apartment, my legs just totally stopped working. I was stuck there and couldn't budge one bit.

Luckily, after a few panic filled minutes, the apartment manager saw me and came to my rescue. After helping me walk to the apartment, we had a heckuva time getting my feet up the 3 inch threshold into my apartment.

Then, after rest and a cooling off period, my legs returned to the same function where they were before I had gone away.

Since that ordeal, I never underestimate the incredible power of heat/humidity to mess with my nerve signals, even if I don't seem to feel very warm.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

What a scary experience indeed! I'm glad you are ok.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

A few years ago I went to my GP because I was feeling awful (well more awful than normal )
          Nothing was working right, my legs were stiff and hardly working, my vitals were wonky.

The GP and the NP were concerned and insisted I needed to go to the hospital, so they called
          an ambulance to take me to the hospital straight from the office, which was a very strange experience being pushed through the waiting area on a gurney.

In the ER I had a very savvy doctor and after running some blood work and a urinalysis, told me he was going to let me rest for awhile. I went to sleep and slept for hours. When I woke up I felt much better and I was not admitted, but was able to go home. His diagnosis was MS fatigue.

But my point is, it's amazing how rest can sometimes change symptoms. It's equally amazing how we can go downhill in such a short time span.

Glad you're doing better.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
            A few years ago I went to my GP because I was feeling awful (well more awful than normal )
            Nothing was working right, my legs were stiff and hardly working, my vitals were wonky.

The GP and the NP were concerned and insisted I needed to go to the hospital, so they called
            an ambulance to take me to the hospital straight from the office, which was a very strange experience being pushed through the waiting area on a gurney.

In the ER I had a very savvy doctor and after running some blood work and a urinalysis, told me he was going to let me rest for awhile. I went to sleep and slept for hours. When I woke up I felt much better and I was not admitted, but was able to go home. His diagnosis was MS fatigue.

But my point is, it's amazing how rest can sometimes change symptoms. It's equally amazing how we can go downhill in such a short time span.

Glad you're doing better.
            Rest! You're right.

Comment

I'm glad you're better!! Very scary. I had a similar situation last winter but definitely brought about by a fever. My husband had had a quick infection, lasted a day and I got it too. Couldn't move legs at all. Lower legs...angles, toes. I was in bed when the fever came on. Brain kept trying... "if I concentrate enough, I can do it!" Uh, no. Brain rules everything!! When I had to go to bathroom, I essentially fell out of bed and was able to crawl slowly, but I too peed myself.

I want to do everything I can to not get sick this winter!!

You too. Stay well!

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                Hi Thinkimjob

Scary stuff is right. Glad you're ok.

Your scary experience is very similar to what my sister (my main care-helper) and I call "getting into a predicament".

I got into a very similar predicament a few years back, in the summer after a social gathering. While walking with my walker from my car to my apartment, my legs just totally stopped working. I was stuck there and couldn't budge one bit.

Luckily, after a few panic filled minutes, the apartment manager saw me and came to my rescue. After helping me walk to the apartment, we had a heckuva time getting my feet up the 3 inch threshold into my apartment.

Then, after rest and a cooling off period, my legs returned to the same function where they were before I had gone away.

Since that ordeal, I never underestimate the incredible power of heat/humidity to mess with my nerve signals, even if I don't seem to feel very warm.

Take Care
                It is a bizarre feeling - and those three inches may as well be a thirty foot wall. And the more you try to move, the more your stress level rises. You get hot and panicky and "frozen" stiff.
                I was so pleased it went away.

Comment

Originally posted by goodsea View Post
                  I'm glad you're better!! Very scary. I had a similar situation last winter but definitely brought about by a fever. My husband had had a quick infection, lasted a day and I got it too. Couldn't move legs at all. Lower legs...angles, toes. I was in bed when the fever came on. Brain kept trying... "if I concentrate enough, I can do it!" Uh, no. Brain rules everything!! When I had to go to bathroom, I essentially fell out of bed and was able to crawl slowly, but I too peed myself.

I want to do everything I can to not get sick this winter!!

You too. Stay well!
                  The first time you buy them is horribly embarrassing, but I have learned the hard way, Depends are your friends.

Lot less to clean up, too.

When you can't walk, you can't walk, so the chances of making it to the bathroom in time are zero.

We're heading into Summer down here; it sounds like you had a shocker up there.
                  Good luck to us all.

Comment

It must be early spring down there. What a scary feeling to have summer ahead. My goal this summer was to stay out of the hospital. It lasted until August 28. Thought I had taken an overdose of drugs, gave me Narcan and patient privacy laws are not taken into account.

The confusion between MS and drug/alcohol just never ends.

Comment

Glad you're better, OP.

Palmtree, could you please elaborate on your experience with the med staff confusing your symptoms for an overdose, and being administered Narcan?

1. Did you experience any side effects from the Narcan?
                      2. I'm curious to know why you said patient privacy laws were not taken into account.
                      3. What were the med staffs' responses to you when the Narcan had no effect on the preswumed overdose, and/or when they realized you had MS and not a drug habit?

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                      X