Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reactions to Yellow Fever vaccine?

Hi everyone,
    I have a trip planned (departing in 6 weeks) that requires the Yellow Fever vaccine. My Neuro and I have discussed and she feels that getting the vaccine is okay given recent bloodwork and I'm stable on Tecfidera. However, yesterday a travel doctor refused to give me the vaccine as he fears I'll get yellow fever from the vaccine since I'm on a immune modulator. Any experience with good or negative yellow fever vaccinations and Tecfidera specifically?
    I'm also now looking for a travel doctor that will at least review information from Neuro; the one yesterday would not. I'm in MN urban area.
    Thanks!
    RR spinal cord predominant MS; Doing well on Tecfidera for 3+ years

This is from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society (http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Liv...Vaccinations):

A small, unblinded study, published in the Archives of Neurology in 2011, of people with relapsing-remitting MS who received the yellow fever vaccination prior to travel, found a significantly increased risk of MS relapses during the six weeks following the vaccination when compared to the remainder of the two-year follow-up period. For people with MS who must travel to areas where yellow fever is common, the increased relapse risk needs to be carefully weighed against the likelihood of exposure to yellow fever – which is a potentially fatal illness.

It doesn't sound like the travel doctor needs to review any information about the vaccine and its use. It sounds like he knows his business very well.

You do have a significantly increased risk of developing yellow fever from receiving a live virus vaccine. What the travel doctor might be interested in seeing is a statement from your neurologist attesting that she has thoroughly discussed the risks and benefits of the vaccine with you and that you have both decided that it's in your best interest medically to have the vaccine. That, and possibly a signed waiver of liability from you.

A doctor who's stupid enough to disregard his/her professional training and judgement and put a patient's health at risk just because the person wants something is not a doctor you want to be doing business with.

Comment

First of all, congratulations on your upcoming trip! I am always happy when members here are living life well!

Just my .02. I was on Tecfidera and it was a crazy strong drug...at least in my case. My WBC dropped significantly and I developed Shingles shortly there afterwards. My doctor said the Tec probably had direct involvement in this dormant virus coming to life in me; he said get off of the Tec until I was completely over my Shingles. I never did get back on it, but that was bcause I had lots of other side-effects as well and wondered what other disease doors could this drug open in me?

As for me, I wouldn't want a live virus (and not even sure about a dead virus) injected in me if I was taking THIS drug based on personal experience. I am not claiming to have any specific knowledge of any of the risk/benefits of the yellow fever vaccine, but TEC is a newer DMT...maybe more research is not necessarily a bad thing here...

Good luck and congratulations on the trip! I am becoming afraid to leave my own backyard these days!Not a great way to live life...
      Tawanda

Comment

Thanks for sharing the information. I'm not debating the risks, or the Dr's decision. I've thoroughly researched this and weighed the pros and cons. I could get an exemption but the potential of contracting yellow fever while in Africa is less desirable to me (and my Neuro) than trying the vaccine while here in the U.S.
        This travel doctor was NOT interested in a letter from my neuro or a liability release or in speaking with her about Tecfidera and my recent blood results. He has never had an MS patient before and without a study about people on Tecfidera who have/haven't received the vaccine he will not provide it. I respect his choice though wish he had communicated it 3 months ago when initially consulted instead of bringing me in for the vaccine and then telling me he wouldn't administer it. My Neuro has several patients who have received the vaccine in the past year who were not doing as well as I am, and have been fine.
        My primary question is just that - has anyone received the vaccine while on Tecfidera, and either been fine, or contracted yellow fever, and/or had a relapse?

Thanks!

Comment

Tawanda, Thanks for your input as well. I am sorry you had such a difficult time with Tec. I had that on Rebif. Hope you are on something better now.
          If I had just started Tec, I wouldn't likely be going on this trip. But I've been doing really well on it since it came out and my bloodwork has always looked good. So I'm hopeful that things work out in order for me to go on the trip, though I know they may not. As my neuro said - just because I have MS doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to go see a gorilla if I want. Time will tell whether this is a decision to regret. I am sick of my life revolving around this diagnosis. It is what it is though. Life is good. Take care!

Comment

Working...
          X