MS and Cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and Cancer

I've had MS for 30 years and I've learned to accept all my limitations but now that (breast) cancer has snuck in and recurred I'm forced to look at the connection. I see all the other women on the Breast Cancer forums ready for battle against their new disease and I don't have the same enthusiasm. I'm tired. I've been fighting for 30 years already. On their "good days" between chemo treatments they run out "living life to its fullest" while I continue to have MS.

In some ways I saw it easier for me to adjust to cancer treatments than for these women who never faced an ailment harder than the flu in their lives. I'm no stranger to hospitals and IV treatments. I haven't been "superwoman" in many many years. I already rely on other people to take me places and help out with my shopping and other chores...

I don't think that there's any medical proof that MS treatments can cause cancer but I do think that the MS caused or affected the BC. I don't know if I can point to a specific drug but my MS lifestyle really is involved. Some of the ways that my MS never let me follow all the suggestions to fight cancer:

1- I'm not very active. I can only walk about 300 yards and not quickly so it's not exactly exercise. I can ride an exercise bike for about 20 minutes, but I really have to save my strength to do things like make supper so I don't do it often enough.

2- I don't have the energy to cook all those healthy things.

3- I never drink enough cause I'm afraid of not having a bathroom available.

4- I haven't worked in years and disability doesn't cover the costs of those health juices and things.

5 - Have you reached the MS-constipation stage? I'm sure I'm poisoning my body with constipation.

So those are my thoughts on how MS affects cancer.
    Dx 1/86 at age 23
    Copaxone 1993 - 2011 (except when I was pregnant or nursing)
    Tysabri - 2011 - present

Donna,

So sorry to hear you have a recurrence of your breast cancer on top of MS. My sister-in-law has been fighting breast cancer this past year, so I have had a much closer look thru her.

I can fully understand how you feel about fighting it, when MS has already taken so much of your energy. You seem realistic going into it, knowing you can only take a day at a time. I loved your comment about not needing to be superwoman, since those days have already passed.

I do have a fear of cancer in the back of my head since it runs in the family. As you said, so many things with MS raise the risk for cancer. Not the disease itself, but the fall out from having MS.

It does seem so unfair that in this country, the healthier you try to eat, the more expensive. We grow some veggies in the summer months, but my husband has to maintain it once it gets hot.

I wish I had some wise words. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi DonnaD

I'm sorry to learn that you have been going through long-standing MS, and now cancer as well. It certainly isn't fair at all.

I've known people who tried to do all the "right" things, and still acquired cancer. And some who did all the "wrong" things, and they remained healthy. So who knows for sure. Genes may be involved too.

There probably is a risk with MS treatments due to the immune system changes - but then again just living in this world is a risk too.

In any case, hopefully you are feeling ok today, and wishing you the strength and peace of mind to deal with it all, day by day. May you be blessed.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I am so sorry you are having to fight ms and cancer and I guess ms could be involved when you put it that way. I don't have any advice but I will pray for you and I hope you see brighter days soon.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
        X