MRI, Clinical Assessments Not Prognostic in MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRI, Clinical Assessments Not Prognostic in MS

For patients with multiple sclerosis (MS), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and clinical assessments do not appear to offer long-term prognostic value.

Bruce Cree, M.D., Ph.D., from the University of California San Francisco Multiple Sclerosis Center, and colleagues conducted a prospective study involving 517 actively managed MS patients. They examined whether clinical and MRI data had long-term prognostic value.

"The data call into question the utility of annual MRI assessments as a treat-to-target approach for MS care," the authors write.

This is perhaps the most unnerving part for me. Although I will strive to remain thankful that I have done well for so long that we can be fine for years and suddenly have the rug ripped out from underneath remains a constant fear. As they say "its only benign until its not".
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

[QUOTE=Marco;1495068]
      For patients with multiple sclerosis (MS), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and clinical assessments do not appear to offer long-term prognostic value.

[COLOR=#1D2129][FONT=helvetica][LEFT]Bruce Cree, M.D., Ph.D., from the University of California San Francisco Multiple Sclerosis Center, and colleagues conducted a prospective study involving 517 actively managed MS patients. They examined whether clinical and MRI data had long-term prognostic value.
      "The data call into question the utility of annual MRI assessments as a treat-to-target approach for MS care," the authors write.

Well knock me down with a feather, (which believe me is not as hard as it sounds these days).

Comment

Currently in the middle of central Pennsylvania moutains and have no signal most of time. Really interested to read this when I get home. Can't keep a signal long enough to download!
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks Marco,

I thought I had replied to this thread, I guess not.

My first neuro was not a proponent of regular MRIs...she said she treated the patient (and their symptoms), not an MRI.

Present neuro does brain MRI once a year. I'm allergic to gad, so no contrast, but my MRI is
          more to keep track of one pesky lesion.

As to the failing of an MRI as a prognosticator, oh well, we've always known it's just a snapshot
          of a constantly changing "landscape."

Comment

Working...
          X