Flying with MS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying with MS.

I need some assistance from the community! I have relapsing/remitting MS. My son and family moved to New York City three months ago, and to visit we have to fly from Colorado. Sitting in the plane for four and a half hours is very difficult for me. My legs set up like concrete and despite taking a muscle relaxer before the flight, it takes me two days or more to recover, which is usually time to fly home. Does anyone have any ideas or tricks to make the flight easier? My Dr's only idea is the muscle relaxer. I am desperate and open to all ideas.

Thanks

I have the same problem in that I cannot sit "like a normal person" for any prolonged period of time. For some reason only way I am ever comfortable is when my knees are bent, can't explain it that's how it is.

So might I suggest that if you are going to be sitting in the same position for three or four hours if not longer that you get yourself into a position where you won't sieze up. Perhaps a call to the airline before the flight and a word with the cabin crew to explain your situation might help. Even if it means sitting you where you can sit across two seats (providing they have an empty seat available) so you can get comfortable? Failing that, something to knock you out for the duration of the flight?
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hi budnboots:

If inactive sitting is causing the problem, maybe less inactive sitting time will help. Have you tried moving around more to see what happens?

On the plane, you can get up and go to the bathroom every half hour, even if you don't actually need to use the facilities. You can walk up and down the aisle a couple more times during the flight if it doesn't interfere with the flight attendants and fellow passengers.

The rest of the time you can do isometric exercises, stretch, move, fidget. (Don't wear yourself out doing anything strenuous.) You might still need the muscle relaxer, but maybe some regular and gentle movement throughout the flight will keep your blood moving and prevent your muscles from stiffening.

Comment

Working...
      X