Cognitive Problems Impacting Finances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cognitive Problems Impacting Finances

Multiple Sclerosis, the degenerative disease, though typically associated with physical impairments due to disruption of the central nervous system, has been recognized in recent years for its cognitive impacts, too, which affect a majority, but not all, of those with MS.

Individuals with multiple sclerosis are more likely to have problems with daily financial tasks including operating an ATM, owing debt for unpaid bills and needing to borrow money, relative to healthy participants who also reported some financial problems, one study found.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-l...ems-2016-07-26

I agree; My husband took over the finances, just in time

I'm not a CFPA, but I always used to work in the accounting/finance field. My mind went away, last year, when I decided I'd take the CPA test, why I don't know, crazy me. I was a little irritated at first, because I had always been responsibly in charge of the finances. Then I started giving too much away. I've always been generous, but I was going a little too overboard. I'm glad my husband stepped in, otherwise, ? But, we're not hurting, but it COULD have gotten pretty bad. Hmm, family, sisters-in-laws, hmm. I guess I'm a little surprised, they know my mind is no longer completely here. Just be careful. I don't want any of you to fall victim to this

Comment

Over the last couple of years, I've found that my basic math/arithmetic skills seem to come and go. For instance, sometimes I can subtract w/o a hitch; other times, I'm not sure whether I'm anywhere near accurate. Usually I'm ok, but I'm not feeling at all comfortable about the simple process, one I used to do w/o a second thought. It's frustrating and a bit scary.

Comment

Originally posted by DogMa View Post
        Over the last couple of years, I've found that my basic math/arithmetic skills seem to come and go. For instance, sometimes I can subtract w/o a hitch; other times, I'm not sure whether I'm anywhere near accurate. Usually I'm ok, but I'm not feeling at all comfortable about the simple process, one I used to do w/o a second thought. It's frustrating and a bit scary.
        Hi DogMa, I relate to you. I've always thought that the cognitive decline is one of the most harrowing symptoms of the bunch. I mean, pain and fatigue sucks too, but I'm pretty used to it. I can't stand the cognitive symptoms. I used to be so sharp. Anyway, I relate . . .

Comment

M.S. is a THIEF!

M.S. has been financially devistating on so many levels. As if physical and mental suffering weren't bad enough...
          Tawanda

Comment

Working...
          X