Blood donation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood donation

Good Evening all! I hope everyone is staying cool and stress free!

Before I got MS, I donated blood or double red cells frequently as I have a sorta rare blood type. The Red Cross still calls me asking me to donate. I know MS is not an exclusion for donation. However, I wonder about the side effects such as fatigue or increased risk of relapse. I know I need to ask my neuro about it, but I keep forgetting to ask him, so I am curious about other MSers.

Anyone have experience with MS and donating blood?
    Echo
    DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

At one point, the DMT injectables were on the banned list, so I couldn't donate. Once that restriction removed, I used to donate and had no issues. When MS Fatigue became more consistent, and I seemed to catch a lot of respiratory infections, I stopped. As far as relapse rate, it didn't trigger anything.

I hope you can continue. I wish I could.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by Echo2099 View Post
      Good Evening all! I hope everyone is staying cool and stress free!

Before I got MS, I donated blood or double red cells frequently as I have a sorta rare blood type. The Red Cross still calls me asking me to donate. I know MS is not an exclusion for donation. However, I wonder about the side effects such as fatigue or increased risk of relapse. I know I need to ask my neuro about it, but I keep forgetting to ask him, so I am curious about other MSers.

Anyone have experience with MS and donating blood?
      I'd be worried about me "infecting" someone else.
      My Aunt's mother died of CJD (what they now call Mad Cow Disease) a long time ago.

My Aunty is not allowed to donate, and nor are her children.

Comment

Hi Guys my kids donate and I went down to pick one up and asked about donating , I was told that I couldn't donate with MS as it would make me too fatigued Craig

Comment

meds

I was told by the scanner people, that I could no longer donate because of the DMT I was on.
          You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

Thanks evryone for your input. I am not on any DMTs and haven't been for almost a year. I will call my neuro today and see what he suggests.

Thanks again all.
            Echo

Comment

I tried to donate back in 2015. I told them I was on gabapentin, he asked why I told cause of MS he said I couldn't donate. At that time I wasn't on any dmt's.

That kind of hurt my feelings also. It stung as if why won't you take my blood? On the other side I thought well at least I may not spread it? Seriously we don't know enough about this disease.

Comment

I also was told I could not donate any longer. The reason our blood bank told me was because it would not be good for my health. They said it had nothing to do with the MS or DMD.

I was was not happy either. I felt that I should be the one to determine if I should or shouldn't donate since my blood is not considered a risk to anyone. Who knows better than me how I would feel after donating?

But I guess until something changes I just can't do it anymore.
                Wendy

Comment

Got the word from my Neuro regarding donating blood.

"The Red Cross does allow MS patients to donate blood. There are no increased risks to MS patients that choose to donate blood. Since MS is not a bloodborne disease, there is no increased risk to the person that receives a blood donation from an MS patient."

While I trust my Neuro, I would be interested to know what other neuro shave to say.
                  Echo

Comment

Originally posted by Echo2099 View Post
                    Got the word from my Neuro regarding donating blood.

"The Red Cross does allow MS patients to donate blood. There are no increased risks to MS patients that choose to donate blood. Since MS is not a bloodborne disease, there is no increased risk to the person that receives a blood donation from an MS patient."

While I trust my Neuro, I would be interested to know what other neuro shave to say.
                    That is what both neuros I have seen said. It was not the MS, but medications that stopped me. But the Red Cross changes what meds are on that list and once interferons were allowed, I could donate again.

I just stopped because of fatigue and recurrent respiratory infections.

I have thought about trying again to see how things go. Having members of my immediate family benefit from transfusions, I have always been a big supporter.
                    Kathy
                    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks Kathy! I'm happy to hear other neuros feel the same way.

Maybe when the Red Cross tested your hemoglobin, it was too low? I know my DH got turned down once for that reason.
                      Echo

Comment

Federally, in the US MS patients are allowed to donate blood, as long as you meet other criteria. But further restrictions can vary locally.

(Plasma and organ donation is also allowed, but bone marrow donation is not.)

https://secure.nationalmssociety.org...rams_giveblood

http://m.redcrossblood.org/donating-...s_vaccinations

The Mayo Clinic includes only Aubagio and Tecfidera on their 2016 Blood Donation Medication Deferral List. http://www.mayo.edu/pmts/mc1400-mc1499/mc1402-50.pdf. But again, regardless of medicatiions, you must meet other criteria.
                        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
                        X