FINALLY HAD MY NEURO VISIT I REQUESTED ON 2/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FINALLY HAD MY NEURO VISIT I REQUESTED ON 2/19

Wednesday I received a phone call from my Neurologist I see at the VA Clinic in New Orleans. I wrote her an e-mail telling her I thought I may be having another flare as an old symptom and some new symptoms had reared their ugly heads. It all started on Thursday February 18, but since it was so close to the weekend I thought I would wait and see what happened over the weekend. Well by Monday February 22nd not only had it not let up it had increased in intensity and as I said earlier the old symptom had brought some new friends along to play also. Fun, Fun!! So, I e-mailed her about my thoughts of having another flare. Now, I say another flare because I just had one in November.

I won't bore you with all that took place between February 22nd and March 16 when she finally told me to cme in to be examined. So, I drive the 70 miles one way, now I know many of you drive much farther but as a Veteran there are ways around having to that, but fret not, I won't bore you with that either.

I spent about 30 minutes with Resident going over the normal question and answer session, and follow my finger and checking reflexes. I did find out my B12 levels are low so the VA will be sending me the vitamins. After my visit with the Resident my Neurologist came in.

She asked a few questions mainly about my last flare in November and if I felt the steroids helped or not. I said I felt as if they did but, my biggest problem is inability to walk. Even after the steroids I still had trouble walking but not as much. So we all know what happened next. She ordered a 3 day round of IVSM starting Monday 3/21, almost one month to the day this all started. Since it took so long to do something about the flare I'm really curious to see just how much I may or may not recover. She was obviously curious too because as she left the room she told me three time to be sure and e-mail after I finished my treatments to let her know how they worked.

This is my second flare in 5 months. This one being a "major" flare in her words. This is the first time I have ever had flares that close together. So I'll take my IVSM like a good little patient and see what happens and hoping for the best.

Anyone else ever have flares this close together? And how common is this? Now I know everyone's MS is different but on a whole what are the thoughts?

Thanks for reading and input would be appreciated.

Way

**Edited by moderator in compliance with Guideline 4.**
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

No, I have never had flares that close together. I am interested to know what a "major" flare is. Not at your expense, of course. The doctors just drop words on us when we are still trying to process and don't get a chance to ask them about it.

From what I've read and heard though, iv steriods don't help with the length of or damage from flares, just the symptoms. How the docs know that is beyond me. I mean they don't seem to know anything else about this disease or its progression for certain.

Neurologists are funny sometimes. They all seem to have this funny way of cocking their heads to the side and looking at you like you're a science experiment. I imagined yours doing that while she's saying be sure to email me and let me know how things work out. One time mine asked me if I was on drugs. I said no but I smoked weed a couple of times to see if it helped with my symptoms. She gave me that look and said how'd that work out for you.
    You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

I once had a two flares about 5 months apart. Both for them were preceded by respiratory infection. So vicious circle of getting sick, flare, steroids. But neither flare was a major flare by what I read from others. Vertigo, L'hermites, increased pain, right side weakness, light/noise sensitivity, fatigue. Steroids helped, but left with some residual still.

Switched from Avonex to Rebif then. Basically same medicine, but double the dosage weekly. That helped for years.

I haven't seen Katie on lately, but I know she went thru a period of frequent flares. I think Lisa may have as well (22 cyclist). If you search for their posts, you may get some insight.

As for steroids, they don't change the outcome of the flare, just reduces inflammation to relieve symptoms a little earlier, if they do remit. My understanding though is that they were best used early in a flare.

Hope you are feeling better.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

[QUOTE=Waydwnsouth1;1490759]"...Anyone else ever have flares this close together?"

Yup. My two closest together were five weeks apart. I just thought of them as one continuous relapse with fluctuation. I didn't get steroids until the upturn in symptoms, and fortunately the steroids helped tamp it down until the next bout two years later.

Comment

[QUOTE=BadAttitude;1490987]
          Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
          "...Anyone else ever have flares this close together?"

Yup. My two closest together were five MONTHS apart. I just thought of them as one continuous relapse with fluctuation. I didn't get steroids until the upturn in symptoms, and fortunately the steroids helped tamp it down until the next bout two years later.
          Whoopsie. Edited to correct, I didn't mean to type weeks.

Comment

Working...
          X