Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could having 5 children in 6 years help stabilise my ms anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could having 5 children in 6 years help stabilise my ms anyone?

Although I have been reading posts for a few months now I only began replying to the odd thread recently and decided to finally ask a ? of my own. I have had RRMS for almost 30 years and- if there is such a thing- am probably 'A typical' with most things from onset to my treatments and relapses.
    But although since I became a member here I have read many posts that I can identify with and have gained comfort, reassurance and info I have a query that I would appreciate some feedback on please that I haven't found previously posted of a similar nature. Also I'll apologise at the outset for my tendency to 'waffle on' a bit- ms or personality- not sure.

For years I wasn't happy with the neurologist I was seeing but unfortunately they are pretty thin on the ground in AUS especially in rural areas. I would travel a minimum of 100m /2hrs (if an apt was available on his next reigonal visit or if I had to see him at his surgery it was a 7-8hr drive or a flight coupled with overnight or longer stay. I did this for ten yrs. I decided to ask to be referred to some one else about 4 yrs ago. Unfortunately it means a 4 hr drive there and then another 4hrs home every time but it was well worth it because i am much happier with his care and attitude.

When I initially consulted this new doc and was running through my history etc with him I mentioned that I had had my first major onset 3 months after having my 1st child. Then he was quite surprised when i told him that i then went on to have in total 5 children in 6yrs. (Not much tv in rural Aus either.) Then he said something that surprised - he said that although it is very comon for women to have onsets/relapses within a few months of having a baby he had read an article that gave statistics that indicated that having more than one or two children often seemed to stabilised ms. I haven't been able to find any clarification of this statement or info on any study to do with this.

There is lots of discussion re hormonal changes and exacerbations and this is similar but I would really like to hear from ladies who may have had a few children to compare notes so to speak or anyone who may have some insight in to the study or info he mentioned.

I had previously had an aunt and an uncle who had severe ms and died in their early 40s.
    As you can imagine having that many children in such a short time frame as well as dealing with many other life consequences and ms is a lot of hard work and can be very stressful so I actually received a perverse amount of comfort from thinking my 5 boys had probably save my life.

Ps we didn't plan this . Like ms life also throws the odd curve ball.
    Thanks I look forward to some replies.

Hi Carolinemf:

Your post is timely, because a new study was recently published in the International Journal of Molecular Sciences that indicates that childbearing has no influence on MS: Offspring Number Does Not Influence Reaching the Disability's Milestones in Multiple Sclerosis: A Seven-Year Follow-Up Study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26907250

Hormonal influences are in effect during pregnancy and postpartum, but those influences don't last beyond the childbearing period (although they continue in general). There has been some thought in the past that the influence of hormones due to childbearing continues, but over the years that hasn't shown to be true, and general knowledge of how hormones work doesn't support that it would. So, in a word, no -- your childbearing history will not stabilize your MS.

If you've had MS for 30 years, there's a greater than 95% chance that you've entered the secondary progressive phase. In SPMS, some people seem to stabilize because actual relapses tend to occur less frequently. But the degenerative nature of MS continues in SPMS, and how it plays out in any one person is unpredictable. Let's hope yours stabilizes on its own.

Comment

Thanks so much for the updated info. To be honest I have never 'compared notes' with other ms'ers and pretty much tried to live as 'normal' a life as possible. This has actually turned out to be quite hectic and I often found that I gave priority to everything in my life other than my own health and keeping up with all the relevant info and research. I basiclly ignored it unless i had a relapse etc and even then i just dealt with what i HAD to and got on with it so to speak.

It is only recently due to changed circumstances that i have begun to interest myself in being more informed and in sharing on this site.

I am also jcv + and my titers have risen so i am waying up the ramifications of continuing on Ty.

I am also experiencing considerably more cog fog and depression, tremors, fatigue and pain in the last couple of years. Although my mri's show no new lesions and I haven't had any obvious flares and i was wondering if this was just a gradual increase in symptoms or if it could be a result of hormonal fluctuations due to nearing menopause?

I have always believe that hormones have been a major catalyst with my previous flares etc. It was some consolation to read other peoples opinions on this here after having docs dismiss this many times over the years.

I have Mri and jcv test and neuro check scheduled in June and would like to have as much info and questions clear in my own mind by apt time.
      With the my cogn issues and depression getting harder to deal with this can be a bit of an exercise so i really appreciate any additional feedback or views anyone would care to give.

Thanks n all the best.

Comment

Originally posted by jreagan70 View Post
        Hi Carolinemf:

Your post is timely, because a new study was recently published in the International Journal of Molecular Sciences that indicates that childbearing has no influence on MS: Offspring Number Does Not Influence Reaching the Disability's Milestones in Multiple Sclerosis: A Seven-Year Follow-Up Study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26907250

Hormonal influences are in effect during pregnancy and postpartum, but those influences don't last beyond the childbearing period (although they continue in general). There has been some thought in the past that the influence of hormones due to childbearing continues, but over the years that hasn't shown to be true, and general knowledge of how hormones work doesn't support that it would. So, in a word, no -- your childbearing history will not stabilize your MS.

If you've had MS for 30 years, there's a greater than 95% chance that you've entered the secondary progressive phase. In SPMS, some people seem to stabilize because actual relapses tend to occur less frequently. But the degenerative nature of MS continues in SPMS, and how it plays out in any one person is unpredictable. Let's hope yours stabilizes on its own.
        I, too, always thought these theories somewhat suspect. If anything, I feel like my pregnancy was the last part of the perfect storm that led to my MS as I got diagnosed shortly after having a baby. Like that was just the last stressor my body could handle! Even if it were true that being pregnant stabilized MS for nine months, nine months is not very long!

Not bashing the original posters question in any way, shape or form. We hate this disease! Any brainstorming about making MS better understood is welcome! In my experience, MS is worse than being pregnant, and if I could have stayed pregnant during my entire child bearing years and avoid MS, it would certainly have been tempting (if not for all those kids that would pile up!)!
        Tawanda

Comment

Working...
        X