Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Treating MS with Diabetic Medications? Sure, why not!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treating MS with Diabetic Medications? Sure, why not!!!

Oral antidiabetic medications have beneficial anti-inflammatory effects in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) and metabolic syndrome, providing support for a link between metabolism and autoimmunity, researchers report.

They found that treatment with metformin or pioglitazone significantly decreased the number of new or enlarging T2 lesions or gadolinium-enhancing lesions after just 6 months, with benefits lasting for up to 2 years.

"This study is well in line with the recent growing interest in environmental risk factors associated with MS, in particular, those that are part of our daily habits such as diet", Aiden Haghikia and Ralf Gold, from Ruhr-University Bochum in Germany, comment in a related editorial.

For the open-label study, published in JAMA Neurology, 50 obese patients with MS who also developed metabolic syndrome underwent brain magnetic resonance imaging every 6 months following the initiation of metformin hydrochloride (850-1500 mg/day) in 20 patients and pioglitazone hydrochloride (15-30 mg/day) in 10 patients. The remaining 20 patients received neither treatment and served as controls.

After 2 years of treatment, the number of new or enlarging T2 lesions had decreased significantly from an average of 2.5 to 0.5 among patients taking metformin and from 2.3 to 0.6 among those given pioglitazone. Among controls, there was little change from the pre-treatment number of 2.4.

The drugs had a similar effect on gadolinium-enhancing lesions, the numbers of which decreased significantly after 2 years, from 1.8 before treatment to 0.1 with metformin and from 2.2 to 0.3 with pioglitazone.

Complete story here: http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...-patients.aspx

Yeah Marco, that's really good news about diabetic drugs and MS !
    But that still leaves the side effects of anal leakage and male impotence ! There are pills for those problems !

Comment

I´ve definitely noticed a correlation between sugar intake and symptoms and have been thinking that there is a metabolic component. Thanks for the article info.

Comment

Interesting ... I wonder if it has helped me? As a PWD - type 2 I take metformin.

Symptoms started up around 1990 which lead to my MS DX in 1995, and while never VERY severe, I've had my share of relapses. I was dx'ed with diabetes in 2001 and put on metformin, and the relapses have been fewer AND less severe than they were during the '90's.
        I HAVE modified my diet trying to keep the diabetes in line, but hmmm, as I said - interesting.

Comment

what I love about this place - also on Metformin - starting today

So - after doing just great controlling my diabetes type II diagnosis for a year on top of the lovely 40 year old MS dx because every gal loves a laundry list...... NOT! I have been given Metformin to manage the type II diabetes. Came on the boards to research a bit and viola! Here it is. and research to say it's good for me! Thanks for being supportive by just being yourselves and without realizing you're doing it

Comment

Working...
          X