The newest medications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The newest medications

I know they won't allow older patients to take part in the trials for new meds. I'm wondering if the doctors prescribe them for people over 60. Seems like the commercials usually warn people over 60 about the possible serious side effects that can occur. And I assume those of us who are SP are not offered these newer drugs either.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I'm 65, secondary progressive, and have been on Tecfidera for a couple of years. My Neuro thinks it MAY slow down progression. There's no way to know, but if there's a chance I'll go with it.

Some insurance plans may argue with that, but Medicare covers it.

Comment

Many insurance companies won't approve medications for progressive MS because it's considered off-label. That is why many neurologists will leave a person as RRMS even though they believe they are actually SPMS. I've never known an insurance company to deny MS medications based on age (unless they were juveniles).

For progressive patients, Ocrelizumab should eventually fill the medication treatment void. PPMS patients should have access to it in a few months and other MSers several months later. Part of the Ocrelizumab trials may suggest there is still a low level of chronic inflammation in progressive patients so some of the RRMS drugs may actually provide some level of therapy.

There remain no perfect treatment answers, but in 5 years the number of treatments has nearly doubled with more therapies on the way.

Comment

It's exciting that Ocrelizumab is coming soon. My doctor is thinking of putting me on it but I think I will wait to see how well it goes for everyone. It sounds like it doesn't have that many side effects and it doesn't have to be administered every month.

I just hope it's powerful,and effective at stopping this disease.

Comment

Working...
        X