Workplace shooting on KS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workplace shooting on KS

Small town 7 miles away. Also a shooting here in my hometown; possibly related. Have been glued to the TV news for over an hour.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

So sorry to hear Faith. Always so upsetting to hear. I can only imagine when that close to home.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I can only imagine how apprehensive this could be. My thoughts and prayers are with you
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Yes. We knew some people who worked there. No one we knew died in the tragedy; they haven't released names of the wounded yet, but I haven't heard of anyone I knew being wounded. I do know someone who was on the line when the shooter began shooting and ran for cover.

There is still a lot of local news coverage going on.
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Glad you are safe Mamabug. Yet another senseless act of violence ~sigh~
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I'm sorry Mamabug, I actually thought of you when I saw this on the news. So sad.

Twenty some years ago a fired postal worker shot and killed several employees at a main post office around here. My SIL worked there, but happened to be working at another location that day (thank God). Our neighbor's wife wasn't so lucky - she was one of those killed. Don't hear the phrase much anymore, but "going postal" is one of the expressions used to describe this type of violence.

Hugs to you and those affected by this senseless act of violence.
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks, Seasha and Kimba. Wow, Kimba; sorry for your loss. We just never think things like that will hit so close to home.
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
                I'm sorry Mamabug, I actually thought of you when I saw this on the news. So sad.

Twenty some years ago a fired postal worker shot and killed several employees at a main post office around here. My SIL worked there, but happened to be working at another location that day (thank God). Our neighbor's wife wasn't so lucky - she was one of those killed. Don't hear the phrase much anymore, but "going postal" is one of the expressions used to describe this type of violence.

Hugs to you and those affected by this senseless act of violence.
                I remember that one. That was the first, I think. It seems the more this stuff gets broadcast, the more happens. But I guess we need to know what is going on in our communities. After the first gas station hijack there was a new one every week. When I get gas, I still lock the car door and look over my shoulder. Does anyone remember the days when cars didn't have locks on the gas tank?

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                  I remember that one. That was the first, I think. It seems the more this stuff gets broadcast, the more happens. But I guess we need to know what is going on in our communities. After the first gas station hijack there was a new one every week. When I get gas, I still lock the car door and look over my shoulder. Does anyone remember the days when cars didn't have locks on the gas tank?
                  The first was actually in 1986. Seems like all the media coverage nowadays just perpetuates this stuff. Sad, not like we don't have enough to worry about with MS. Add on mobility issues and I feel like a sitting duck!

Remember the days you'd have to worry if someone siphoned the gas out of your gas tank! Think it happened to my parents when I was a kid.
                  Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Our communities are looking for ways to rebuild positive thoughts, following last week's tragedy. Local churches have done a good job of services with messages of hope and healing and candlelight remembrances of those who died or were injured.

The community of Hesston had a joint prayer service yesterday evening for Hesston and other nearby communities. Hesston has only 3000 residents. Only 11% of the 1100 employees at Excel lived in Hesston, so the event has affected a far greater area. 2000 people attended last night's prayer service, which was held in the gym/auditorium of Hesston High School. I considered attending, but it was televised live on several local stations, so I watched it on TV instead.

Brian Sadowski's funeral (one of the shooting victims) will be held on Friday at my church in Newton. He and his wife did not have a home church, but his wife requested it be held at our church, as Brian was one of the leaders of a local NA (Narcotics Anonymous) group that met at our church, and she said that he felt a connection there.
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts and prayers for the victims and their families.

This afternoon, the memorial service for Brian Sadowski, one of the shooting vicitms will be held at my church. The family did not have a church home. However, Brian was a leader in the NA (Narcotics Anonymous) group that met at our church for decades. Because of his second shift job, he was unable to be involved in the daily evening group that met. But, he led the once-per-week Wednesday noon group, and, I think, attended the evening group on his days off. His wife called our church and requested that she have his funeral there. She said that he had always appreciated that our church opened our doors to their group, free, for so many years. And, he had also enjoyed the beauty of our sanctuary.

Attendance is expected to be large. Our pastor is encouraging us to be very welcome to the members of the community who attend, and the church has found many volunteers to help as greeters, hosts, ushers, etc. I've signed up to volunteer with child care in the nursery, and my husband, as a co-chair on the A/V (audio/video) committee, has been very busy setting up equipment in the basement for overflow.

We are glad to be able to support the Hesston and Newton and larger Harvey County/south-central Kansas communities by helping in this way.
                      ~ Faith
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                      X