How old is "elderly"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How old is "elderly"?

When doctors are prescribing meds for people, where is the cutoff line to being elderly? I am 65. Am I elderly? Seems too soon!
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Yes, 65 is considered elderly. :-(

And it gets worse. In geriatrics there are generally three categories for classification purposes, and none of them sound very nice. There's the "young old" (60 to 70 or 65 to 75, depending on who's classifying), the "middle old" (70 to 80 or 75 to 85), and the "old old" or "very old" (80+ or 85+). Not very flattering terminology at all.

Comment

or you could just say "elderly is anyone 5 years older than my dad"

(sorry, I know, not helpful, I'm just in a snarky mood today)
      "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
      Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Hi Marti,
        Looks like jreagan gave you a decent answer, so I can be Snarky too!

I was called Ma'am for the first time at age 26. Elderly starts at age 50 according to Dunkin Donuts (and no one demands to see your AARP card, either!) and 55 at my local IGA and the YMCA Silver Sneakers Club. I don't know what I hate more, MS or aging. Getting senior discounts at age 52 by some 16 year old cashier without even asking for them totally sucks! It happened twice so far, so now I am getting used to it (and I still get my period regularly...think I should tell them that?). I stopped going to IGA on senior Tuesdays and will continue to do so to avoid the humiliation! Dunkin Donuts is unavoidable, and oh well, I meet the requirement there anyway.

Elderly. Bah humbug. Growing up I never thought I would ever be one of THOSE old people!
        Tawanda

Comment

Working...
        X