Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WASTED ALMOST ALL DAY YESTERDAY ON A SCAM ARTIST!! GRRRR!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WASTED ALMOST ALL DAY YESTERDAY ON A SCAM ARTIST!! GRRRR!!

While I was at the VA Employment Center yesterday out of the blue I receive a text message from a lady indentifying herself as the HR director for a major company whose name I will leave out. She said she has reviewed my resume and I would make a great fit in the organization. I didn't think anything of it because I have my resume posted on several job sites.

I did Google the company she was representing and it was a real company which is located overseas. It is a technology based company. After exchanging numerous text messages she told me I would have to interview with the hiring manager.

After I made it home from New Orleans I did my interview and that's when things began to sound a little fishy. Even my 25 yr old son said it was fishy. So after what turned out to be about a 3 hour interview the hiring manager told me they would be sending me a check by FedEx to buy my computer and other required supplies. He also told me I was required to use a specific vendor they have been doing business with for years. I agreed and the interview ended.

I had time to really do some research on this company and the hiring manager. Everything I found on the company was legit. But when I Googled his name that's when to the goose was let out of the pen. It seems these people have been running this scam for some time and unfortunately some people had seen through to the end.

What happens is you deposit the check they send you to purchase all your materials and the check bounces. At that point you are left holding the bag for whatever the check amount is. They get their money from the vendor they tell you to use.

I called a police officer friend of mine and he said see it all the way through but do not deposit the check.

It really made me angry because I am searching for a new job and the time I spent with this bogus I could have been doing something much more productive.

I talked with him again this morning as I will tomorrow morning. Too many people have fallen for this scam and have lost thousands of dollars which they could ill afford to lose. I will speak with him again tomorrow morning. When I receive the check I will call the law again.

The whole idea of this post is be very careful with whom you are talking to. These guys are really good!! They ask all the right questions and say all the right things. Just be careful my friends don't get bit no matter how badly you need a job.

Sincerely,
    WAY.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Great advice waydwnsouth1! Glad you realized this was a scam before you were out thousands of dollars! Time wasted still stinks and the disappointment of this not becoming a job for you stinks even more! I wish you well in the job search and hope for your dream job (a real one this time) to fall right in your lap.
    RRMS: Diagnosed July 2013
    Assistive Device: cane.
    Meds: Copaxone, Ampyra, Vitamin D

Comment

Update on the scam: I received a check in overnight mail with directions to deposit it in an ATM machine. That's so the bank could not detect it was a bogus check. I am to withdraw the funds, $3450, tomorrow at which time I will receive instructions where I am to order my laptop and other work related items.

Once I withdraw the funds that's when my account will be responsible for covering that check. And when I spend the money at the specific vendor that's how they get their money. Of course I have NO INTENTION of depositing that check. That's when I called the Sheriffs Department and filed a report. They told me to stop all contact with the people involved. Somehow I wish I would have called the FBI. They are better equipped to handle these type of cases.

So that's the end, hopefully.
      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
      Babe Ruth

Comment

Smart thinking, Way, and thanks for your cautionary tale! There are so many scams going on.

We were hit by a phone call from the IRS saying we were in non-compliance for paying back taxes and consequences would happen if we did not mail in $. My husband called the authorities and they let us know it was the largest scam in the US at the time. The IRS does not call people!!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Gosh, must be so careful these days. You dodged a bullet.

Comment

Working...
          X