CONFUSED!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CONFUSED!!

Yesterday I had a MRI of the Brain, C spine and T spine. As usual I got a copy of the MRI and I just took a few minutes to look at it.

In looking at the images of my C spine there appeared to be several lesions scattered about. I googled images of a MRI of the C spine with MS lesions and some of my images were identical to the images on Google.

I didn't really look at the T spine as closely but in following the same process there appeared to be lesions scattered about.

What surprised me the most was my brain. The lesions I normally see when looking at my brain MRI where no where to be seen. In fact I didn't see any lesions at all. I did see a black hole. That stuck out like a sore thumb. In past MRI's there were lesions everywhere and the radiologist report said the same. So that leaves me more than a bit confused.

My problems with mobility and problems with my legs in general would explain the C spine lesions. Well I will pick the radiologist report up on Monday and that will hopefully end all the confusion.

Has anyone else had lesions disappear?
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Hi Waydwnsouth1,

Yes, I have. It's not uncommon for lesions to heal and disappear.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
      What surprised me the most was my brain. The lesions I normally see when looking at my brain MRI where no where to be seen. In fact I didn't see any lesions at all. I did see a black hole. That stuck out like a sore thumb.

Yes I agree that they do! Here is a interesting article about black holes I thought you might be interested in - http://www.medpagetoday.com/resource...-holes/a/45775

Research indicates that chronic T1 black holes reflect irreversible demyelination and axonal loss.

A new study finds that the number of black holes at baseline and their volume increase over time significantly predicts long-term disability.

Clinical studies that measure T1 black hole evolution may provide a deeper understanding of the ongoing disease process in MS and the possible effects of treatment.

But, as was stated, "Despite these findings, Dr. Hasan still views the relationship between T1 black holes and clinical measures of disease activity as tenuous. “Yes, black hole lesions are important, but other lesion types are also important. The lesion-centered approach in MS has not provided breakthrough insights into the pathogenesis of MS, as most MS lesions remain asymptomatic,” he commented."

Confusing disease - right?
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thank you for the replies. But now that I've had some extra time to take a closer look I found my the lesions that have always been there plus what looks to be few more.

I will definitley know Monday when I pick up the report.
        Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

Babe Ruth

Comment

In fact I didn't see any lesions at all. I did see a black hole. That stuck out like a sore thumb.
          What gave you the impression that what you saw is a black hole? To know whether what you saw really is a black hole, you have to be looking for the right thing in the right place.

First, black holes show up only on T1-weighted images. Were you looking at your T1 images? The images that show white lesions are T2 images. So if you saw white lesions on the same image, the black area you saw could not have been a black hole.

Also, on T1 images, black holes are darker than the surrounding tissue, but they aren't actually black, like the black of the ventricles and the area between the brain and the skull. If what you saw was black black, it wasn't a black hole. (Many times, what people think looks abnormal is actually normal brain anatomy.) You may very well have one or more black holes, but they won't look black.

It will be interesting what you see after you get your radiology report and look at your MRIs -- T1 and T2 -- again.

Comment

Thanks Jreagon70. I was looking at the T1 images but I will look take another look again today to make sure what I was seeing.

Babe Ruth

Comment

I've mentioned this before in many threads, and I'd post the link, but not sure about the rules on that now...so google...more than meets the eye multiple sclerosis. You'll come up with a study on the msdiscovery site. A man with MS endured 24 MRIs over the course of a year...then they time lapsed the MRIs. It's amazing to see lesions come and go throughout the year, and all the time the man experienced no change in symptoms. It really brings home the fact that an MRI is just a "snapshot" of disease activity on any given day.

Comment

Thanks rdmc I'm going to do that. I bet that is pretty interesting to see.

I've been researching this disease for almost 16 years and if I have learned one thing it's that you can never know to much and there is always something else to learn.

Babe Ruth

Comment

I haven't had lesions disappear but the 2 on my C-spine have gotten significantly smaller since last year.

Comment

Working...
                  X