Urethral dilatation operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urethral dilatation operation

I saw a Dr today who recommended this op.

I have has history of UTI's long before MS came on the scene. Bladder scan normal, no retention. No pain when passing, no incontinence, normal frequency. The only reason the UTI's are a problem now is because we know they can trigger relapses. If I didn't have MS I'd continue to ignore them.

Apart from being horrified at the thought of having such an invasive procedure, I'm not convinced it will solve the problem. I've Googled the symptoms and apart from the UTI's nothing else fits. It seems the main purpose is to increase urine flow and prevent retention, I don't have that problem.

Any words of wisdom or experiences would be gratefully received.

Hi sandwich,

Wow!

I had this done when I was a young child (approximately 5 or 6 years old) so my knowledge is not current. Starting at the age of 4 I had chronic UTIs throughout my childhood and off and on as an adult due to retention. I was on a UTI medication once a month for most of my childhood.

My bladder does not empty completely and the residual urine collects bacteria. I was cathed once a month in the Urologists office after they had me urinate first, there was always residual urine. Cathing was done to stretch the urethra and when that didn't make a difference the procedure your talking about was done.

None of it made a difference. I still get UTIs and I still deal with retention. I had a cystoscopy done several years ago and my bladder is fine.

I would not have it done but this is based on a child's memory and the fact that stretching the urethra never made a difference for me. A Urologist I had when I was about 11 years old did not believe in cathing or the dilatation procedure and that it should never have been done on me.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
    X