Leg Wasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leg Wasting

I'm posting this more out of curiosity than anything else.

About a year ago I had an episode of sudden left leg weakness that landed me in the hospital for a couple of nights etc. A few days later it resolved and has been right since, except for the fact I now 'slap' my foot down instead of the whole heel first thing.

My question is, could the lack of using the muscles typically associated with walking properly cause wasting in my thigh muscles?

I didn't notice this for a long time as I just thought I had diminished sensation in my left leg and wasn't as aware of my jeans on my skin or because they were foreign made (and cheap), there was a slight difference in the size of the jean legs.

It wasn't until I bought a new pair of jeans and realized they were the same that I took a hard look at my thighs and realized the left was actually skinner than the other one. (Pity it's not the rest of me LOL).

Many thanks

Poppy

My question is, could the lack of using the muscles typically associated with walking properly cause wasting in my thigh muscles?

Yes Poppy, IMHO any muscle group affected by lesion location will diminish over time from non use*. My right leg is smaller (even in length!) these days (8 years since DX).

Jer

* I try regardless. With continued effort (using less weight) to accomplish an exercise. I like to believe my CNS will find an alternative path to achieve my ends! Might be a pipe dream but it's my pipe dream!

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy7402 View Post

Thanks to the jeans incident, you know you need to start concentrating on that "skinny" leg more during your exercise routine, and if you don't have a regular exercise routine it's to start one! Montel Williams often talks about having a weaker "side" with his MS, and for me, more things will definately go wrong on the left, and not just the leg. I have head that a walker beats a cane if you ever need assistance because even though the walker is an uglier device, both sides get worked evenly. Some people with canes switch from side to side to keep it even.

I am with Jer and his "pipe dream". I try to visualize alternative pathways while my body apparently does eventually find them on its own. They are probably longer and less efficient pathways, but I'll take 'em! I just wonder how long it will be before I run out of neurological roadway (but try not to think about that though...I have been on the "one day at a time plan" since my diagnosis)?
      Tawanda

Comment

Working...
      X