Esophageal Manometry Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Esophageal Manometry Anyone?

Scheduled for one Thursday, after 3 months of intense stomach pain, an endoscopy, a colonoscopy, an arrogant GI that I immediately dumped, finding a good GI that actually pays attention, I am finally on a medication that has bought me pain free (stomach wise).

My question is should I stop taking the medication for the test? When I have gastric issues I go into MS flare mode meaning intense esophageal spasms. On medication the flares retreat and swallowing is still an issue but much milder than when in a flare.

I don't want the pain back but I also really want the doctors taking this seriously.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Peace,
    Anna

Are you talking about the MS meds or the gastritis meds? I had this test, but can't remember if I was told to withhold tummy meds... I think so. It's not a fun test. They will send you home with a tube in your nose for a day which will measure your LES function and PH levels.

Good luck.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbit View Post
      My question is should I stop taking the medication for the test?
      This is a question for your GI doc.

Many docs will give out an instruction sheet that covers what medications and foods are and aren't allowed before a test, and what other things should and shouldn't be done before a test.

If your doc didn't give you a pre-test instruction sheet, then the best course of action is to call your doctor for instructions. Following advice you get from strangers on the Internet is NOT smart.

Comment

Really?

Jreagan70, than why are you here? I, personally have gotten a lot of wonderful advice and support from "internet strangers" at this site. A place where people can understand the real issues about MS.

For goodness sake, it's not like I asked Dr. Google.

Right now I'm rebounding from Tysabri. the medication is a GI med which works wonderfully thus reducing the esophageal spasms. My question was more should I recreate the original scenario that caused the spasms for the test.

Thank you, Marti, not looking forward to it but it can't be any worse the prep for the colonoscopy!

Peace,
        Anna

Comment

Please call your doctor

Hi Hobbit,

Those spasms sound just awful!!! Also, sorry to hear you are rebounding from Tysabri. Glad you found another GI doctor you like, and were finally prescribed a medication that helps. This does not sound like a fun test, but I hope it provides some answers for your doctor and the problem can be fixed.

Please remember the best person to answer this type of question as it pertains to you is ALWAYS your doctor. As a reminder (to everyone), guideline 14 states: DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES AND LIABILITY: The content of the MSWorld sites (the “site content”) is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be used for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition or as a substitute for seeking professional medical advice. For specific information and advice regarding your medical condition, please consult your personal physician.

That being said, I did do a Google search, and it does appear the answer would be no, you wouldn't take this type of medication before the procedure. Certain medications interfere with this test, and from what I read, it appears all medications for esophageal spasms fall into that category.

In another post you named Carafate as the medication you are on? I did a Google search on that one specifically, and read it's to be stopped days prior to the procedure, not hours. But, again, the person who should be making this determination is YOUR doctor, not what you read on the internet. None of us want you to invalidate the results of your test, or be in pain any longer than you have to because of anything you read here! So, please, please double check with your doctor first thing tomorrow morning about what s/ he wants YOU to do. Don't take the medication until you find out, OK? (There may be others you'll be asked to stop taking as well.)

Good luck to you and please keep us posted on the results.
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
          X