Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tingling/Odd Sensation

Hello all,
    Im experiencing an odd sensation in my left arm and hand. This has started in the last three weeks and now the feeling has spread to my left foot. My doctor has said its not a pinched nerve and referred me to a neurologist since my sister has MS. is this a symptom anyone has had?
    Thank you and God bless

There are dozens of things that can cause tingling and odd sensations. MS is only one of them.

Just because someone with lupus or Lyme disease or chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy has tingling in an arm or leg, it doesn't mean that your tingling is caused by lupus or Lyme disease or chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy. And just because someone with MS has tingling in an arm or leg, it doesn't mean that your tingling is caused by MS.

Just because everyone with MS was born naked, it doesn't mean that you have MS because you were also born naked.

Having a sibling with MS somewhat raises your chances of having MS. But MS is not directly genetically inherited, so having a sibling with MS still doesn't mean that you have MS. No one my family has MS, so genetics was obviously not a factor in why I do.

Maybe you have MS, maybe you don't. Because there are no symptoms that are unique to MS and no disease can be diagnosed based on symptoms alone, your neurologist is going to have to do a medical workup to determine what's causing your symptoms. Going online and selectively looking for people with symptoms that match a condition you have or think you might have isn't productive or healthy.

I know that it's hard to be patient and not to worry, but you really do have to let your neurologist do his/her job to figure everything out.

Comment

I appreciate that, having my doctor quiz me on my sister has me scared. I know its not good to try and pick symptoms that are applicable to me. But i have work ups scheduled for the upcoming week so i'll keep that in mind... Thanks
      Originally posted by jreagan70 View Post
      There are dozens of things that can cause tingling and odd sensations. MS is only one of them.

Just because someone with lupus or Lyme disease or chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy has tingling in an arm or leg, it doesn't mean that your tingling is caused by lupus or Lyme disease or chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy. And just because someone with MS has tingling in an arm or leg, it doesn't mean that your tingling is caused by MS.

Just because everyone with MS was born naked, it doesn't mean that you have MS because you were also born naked.

Having a sibling with MS somewhat raises your chances of having MS. But MS is not directly genetically inherited, so having a sibling with MS still doesn't mean that you have MS. No one my family has MS, so genetics was obviously not a factor in why I do.

Maybe you have MS, maybe you don't. Because there are no symptoms that are unique to MS and no disease can be diagnosed based on symptoms alone, your neurologist is going to have to do a medical workup to determine what's causing your symptoms. Going online and selectively looking for people with symptoms that match a condition you have or think you might have isn't productive or healthy.

I know that it's hard to be patient and not to worry, but you really do have to let your neurologist do his/her job to figure everything out.

Comment

Hi Rmelsonjr,

Welcome to MSWorld.

I know where you're coming from, especially since your doctor was discussing your sister's MS with you. If that's what he's wondering, it would be natural for you to be wondering too about a familial connection. Here's what the National MS Society has to say about genetic predisposition to the disease.

While MS is not hereditary, having a first-degree relative such as a parent or sibling with MS does significantly increase an individual's risk of developing the disease.
        http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Wha...What-Causes-MS

So realizing that and the nature of your symptoms, may have led your doctor in the MS
        direction.

The good news is he is heading down the road to try and find a diagnosis, instead of dismissing your symptoms. If you hop over and read the Limbo forum, you'll see that sometimes a doctor will lag with the tests, making it hard. Now it becomes a waiting game, just to see where the tests he's running and the neurology referral will take you.

What type of tests are you having this week?

Let us know how your tests turn out. As I mentioned earlier, there is a forum in MS World marked Limbo Landers and it might help you to read what others are going through when a doctor suspects MS.

Hope you get some answers.

Comment

Hello Rmelsonjr and welcome to MSWorld.

Several years ago my sister had Optic Neuritis (ON) and she disclosed her sister (me) has MS. Based on her ON and my diagnosis her Dr. (ophthalmologist) wanted her tested for MS. She went though the whole diagnostic process and all of her testing came back normal.

She did receive a diagnosis of clinically isolated Optic Neuritis. She has never been diagnosed with MS and has never had any other problems that might be related to Multiple Sclerosis.

I do hope this is the case for you
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
          X