New MS relapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New MS relapse

Had a relapse several weeks ago and neuro gave me high dose prednisone. It helped for a while but now I'm in so much pain. I wish I could figure out if it's the steroids or the MS that's causing the problem now. I don't know whether to call the dr. and see about getting more prednisone or just deal with this horrible pain and not functioning or if it's just the side effects of the steroids. How does one know?
    I need help!

Hi emily06,

I've had only one major flare, in which I lost most function of my left arm and leg. The flare began to resolve on its own rather quickly, so my neuro didn't order steroids. However, I had bad nerve pain beginning 5 or 6 days after the flare onset and after I was already regaining limb use. My neuro actually didn't order the high dose steroids until I called him in tears over the pain. The steroids made the pain go away almost entirely, and now I have only mild to moderate nerve pain for which I take Gabapentin.

Personally, I attribute the pain to the damage done by the flare. The IV steroids were wonderful, but my worst side effect was roller coaster emotions that lasted about a month. I hope you get some relief soon.
    Portia

Comment

I would call your Neuro's Nurse to see what they recommend. What kind of pain are you having?

I also have to take Gabapentin for the pain. I had a major relapse 6 months ago but I am still in a tremendous amount of pain from it. When I told my Neuro about the pain she adjusted some of the dosages on my meds and gave me another round of Botox. I also do acupuncture, massages and use a heating pad.

I hope your Neuro helps you find a solution for relief.

Comment

IVSM is designed to work for about 4-6 weeks, so you may be having a rebound effect from it. Like others have said, contact your neurologist and let them know what you are experiencing. You may need some anti-seizure drugs to manage the neurological pain. They usually work quite well. Whatever they decide to do, I hope it helps. Let us know what they decide to do for you.

Take care and feel better soon.
        Lisa
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X