TENS machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TENS machines

I'm sure this has been discussed before. Does anyone recommend a TENS machine or unit for pain? Will it work for any kind of pain, such as nerve or muscle pain? I'm seriously considering getting one since nothing else has helped much.

If you're like me you have tried every voodoo, miracle, supplemental, essential oil, vitamin suggestion that has come down the line. I'm in the process of clearing out my medicine cabinet, throwing away anything that just doesn't seem to help at all. What a waste of time and money. Kind of like hair care products..... some just don't work.

Be interested in hearing from some "users". Thanks.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Hi Marti -

It's been awhile since someone has posted about the TENS unit, but here are a couple of threads that hopefully will give you some insight.

This one is in the Archive folder and you won't be able to reply to it but will be helpful - http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...1312-TENS-unit

Another thread - http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...stimulation%29

If you get one, pass along any helpful thoughts so others may benefit. I hope it works for you!!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
      Hi Marti -

It's been awhile since someone has posted about the TENS unit, but here are a couple of threads that hopefully will give you some insight.

This one is in the Archive folder and you won't be able to reply to it but will be helpful - http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...1312-TENS-unit

Another thread - http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...stimulation%29

If you get one, pass along any helpful thoughts so others may benefit. I hope it works for you!!

Thanks so much. This will be a great help in making a decision. I like the idea of borrowing or renting one before buying.
      Marti

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
        I'm sure this has been discussed before. Does anyone recommend a TENS machine or unit for pain? Will it work for any kind of pain, such as nerve or muscle pain? I'm seriously considering getting one since nothing else has helped much.

If you're like me you have tried every voodoo, miracle, supplemental, essential oil, vitamin suggestion that has come down the line. I'm in the process of clearing out my medicine cabinet, throwing away anything that just doesn't seem to help at all. What a waste of time and money. Kind of like hair care products..... some just don't work.

Be interested in hearing from some "users". Thanks.
        I used a TENS machine for back pain about 2 years ago. It only helped with my muscle pain but not nerve pain that I was having.

I since had a spinal cord simulator implanted in my lower back, it's wonderful, but it's quite the cost difference from $350.00 to $80,000.00 but my insurance paid it in full and has been life changing for me.

I hope your able to find some relief having MS is enough without chronic pain on top of it.

Good luck and I hope you find some kind of relief
        Tira

Comment

If you already have a regular PT, and they have a machine (very likely), I suggest you pay them a visit to try it out before you go shopping. In my experience, you'll know what it does for you after one session.

If it does help you, your PT might have some good shopping suggestions, too...
          1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
          NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I used to use a combination TENS/muscle stim unit that I bought online. It helped some, but I got away from it because I have pretty fragile skin, and the adhesive on the pads was pretty brutal. But let me tell you a cautionary tale:

I first got one from asking my neuro if I could try one. He referred me to a medical supply representative with whom they had a relationship. The rep supplied with a TENS unit that looked like it had been built sometime before 1980 (the year at the time was 2012). It had one setting, with one channel (one lead with two pads). You could only run it on a built-in battery that took hours to charge. It was embarrassing. And, the rep told me that I had to buy the electrode pads from her company--she claimed that you couldn't use any from any other source. And the topper: they billed my insurance company $1000 for this useless, outdated piece of junk, plus an ridiculously inflated monthly charge for the pads.

Needless to say, with the one setting and pathetic one lead, it wasn't helpful. So I bought an LG combo TENS/muscle stim with four channels (four leads with eight pads) and numerous settings like wave, frequency, amplitude, ramp, and so on, for about $80. The muscle stim actually was much better than the TENS. I bought the pads from Amazon. I played around with it, and was able to get just the right settings that would help, provided that I placed the pads on the just the right nerve paths on my legs (the pain is in my feet).

So my advice to you is don't go through some sales rep from a medical supply company. They only exist to rip off the system, and you will get a stupid, inferior product that you couldn't sell for $1.00 at a garage sale. Get a reasonably decent one on your own, and if you can get some help with it great. If not, go by trial and error.

I've asked several physical therapists to advise me on the pad placement, and it seems like they know less than I do about it, at least for nerve pain. They want to place the electrodes right on my feet, and that's the worst thing to do, at least if your goal is to reduce pain.

I really hope you can find some relief, marti. I've seen a lot of your posts looking for some help, and I can really relate to your frustration. I wish I had something better to offer you, but I'm pretty much in the same boat--none of the standard remedies that help other people do a thing for me.

Good luck.
            Last edited by Kimba22; 04-11-2015, 06:54 PM. Reason: guideline #4
            PPMS
            Dx 07/13

Comment

I've used TENS machines for many years, and it has been invaluable. I have a newer digital combo tens/something else, but I find it too complicated.

My basic TENS unit is dual channel, runs on a 9 volt battery, comes with a small supply of pads, two sets of wires, in a nice box to keep it all in. You can download the instruction manual. I have bought my machines from medicalproductsonline dot org. Have never been disappointed. My favorite unit is still called the basic TENS machine, it is less than $30. Do add some extra pads. I also like the contact spray which prolongs you use of the pads.

Never place pads on your neck or over a bone. Place pads to the left and right, or above and below where it hurts, not on it. Hope this info helps! My pain is muscle and joint related. My son has used it on sore muscles as well.

Comment

Back to the TENS units. Do any of you recommend any specific brands? There are so many and I don't know a thing about any of them.

Thanks again.
                Marti

Comment

Marti, I feel your pain! Zynex is the brand I use.

Hi Marti, I'm Maggie. I'm new here. I have terrible spasticity in my back and my PT gave me a tens unit.

It works for me. It's the only thing actually that is allowing me to sit upright and write this post.

My tens sounds like Justsayyes's. The brand is Zynex. With some experimenting, I have figured out that a setting called LMD with it blasting from 20-30 works on my pain. Justsayyes is right--never put the electrodes on bone (OWWW!). I put mine in a square. There are four. I have one on each side of my mid-back and one on each side of my lower back. Always at least an inch and a little more away from my spine.

The only thing that is annoying is the cords attaching the electrodes to the unit hang down and I have wrap them around the unit to keep them from hooking on things when I move, and if they get too tangled the signal will stop working.

It's a godsend for me and I am very grateful to have it. It's portable and my pain has been so bad lately that the only way I can go do errands or go out is to have it attached, and I carry an extra battery with me.

I hope it works for you!

Maggie

Comment

Working...
                  X