Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cooling off on vacation

Hi everyone,
    I will be going to Florida for my dear nieces wedding in a few weeks and after that we will be staying to see a few of the parks there and need to try and stay as cool as possible and would like to know any products like cooling vests or other products you have used that worked for you. My hotel room has no refrigerator so I have to consider that too. Thank you all!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain! Diagnosed '99. And still learning about this disease!

I've not used the vest, but have used wraps and wrist wraps. Liked them both. They don't last for a real long time, but enough to get me cooled down for what I needed.

If you are looking at vests, I can tell you that MSAA has a Cooling vest program: http://mymsaa.org/msaa-help/cooling/

The National MS Society also has a list of programs and vendors for cooling equipment:
    http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Cha...rvices/COOL-IT

If you don't have a fridge, you would probably want to have a small ice chest available to keep cooling packs cool.

Hope this helps.

Comment

My daughter used to be a competetive swimmer and we frequently attended her outdoor summer swim meets in 95F -105F weather. I used neck wraps with gel in them; got them in the sporting goods dept at Walmart. I had more than one, and always kept one or two cooling in ice in a cooler while I wore another one.

Another trick I used was to wear a swimsuit underneath and go to the public ladies room and soak a T-shirt in cold water and wring it out and wear it over top of the swimsuit. When the sun dried it out, I'd just go do it again.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Mamabug, I like your cooling tricks. They are the same I used to use.

BDOBBINS,
        Not having a refrigerator in your motel room could be difficult. I wonder if you could rent one (or buy a small one). Then, of course there are good old ice chests. I've spent entire vacations going back and forth to the store to get ice.

When you go to the park, you could bring an ice chest. Being near ice can help a lot. I find that cooling my head off is the most important part. If necessary you could dip your head in ice water. Of course, wear a hat and sit under a tree.

Comment

I use a SPF rated little umbrella that keeps me several degrees cooler. I could not exist in summer without it. I also always wear a hat when the umbrella is too much bother. I use a coolsport vest that I've had for about ten years. I rub ice cubes on my arms, legs, neck when trying to cool off. Cooling myself internally works best with slushies or anything frozen like those frozen cups of lemonade. I also have a camp chair with a "roof". Staying out of direct sun is key for me. Good luck!

Comment

Front Desk

Some hotels that don't have frigs in the rooms have a frig up front. They should be willing to put your stuff in it till you go out each day. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

Working...
            X