OK ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

I'm in the middle of a major flare and having to ride it out with no steroids. And if that's not enough I have now come down with a virus and lost my voice. It seems to have kicked my symptoms up a couple of notches. I really don't know if I could feel any worse.

Something has to give and give quick! I'm fighting it with all my might but I truly don't know how much more of this I can stand.

I was thinking yesterday while I as at my PCP's office that my immune system may be down. And being that I'm in a flare It it may down even more making me more susceptible to viruses and such. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

I haven't heard of this scenario but you would expect that your neurologist could have some experience with it. Or maybe there is something in the medical literature about this. I will say a prayer for you. Wish I could help, but I go nothing. Good luck

Comment

So sorry, Waydwnsouth . It's bad enough to get sick when you have MS and aren't in a real flare. I was sick last week and had a miserable pseudoflare. (Thank God that's finally over.)

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
      I was thinking yesterday while I as at my PCP's office that my immune system may be down. And being that I'm in a flare It it may down even more making me more susceptible to viruses and such. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
      You tried high dose oral steroids, right? That would be what knocked down your immune system. Not sure if the flare itself had anything to do with your susceptibility.

I hope your body can kick that virus, soon, along with your flare!

(((Hugs))),
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I hope you get some relief soon! That's exactly how I felt in 2012, but I had been admitted to the hospital. The hospital has a mess load of germs so avoid it if you can.

Did you ask your doctor about acthar gel? Sorry, I don't remember your answer, but it is the only medication alternative to steroids.

Comment

I am not aware of an exacerbation making you more susceptible to viruses.

As Kimba22 mentioned a virus can cause a pseudo-exacerbation and steroids can make you more susceptible to viruses.

I can only imagine how lousy you feel dealing with both an exacerbation and a virus
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi! the way it was always explained to me is you can have the virus in you and active for a long time but for us lucky people with the MonSter the virus turns our immune system on and that is what causes the exacerbation. I could be wrong but either way I hope you kick them both real soon.
            PEACE
            Tortis

Comment

Well I may have found my answer. I just finished high dose steroid pack for my flare. The steroids didn't work of course but I guess the steroids knocked my immune system down enough for me to catch this virus.

Thanks for the replies.
              Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
              Babe Ruth

Comment

Working...
              X