Handicap authorities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handicap authorities

I found a post on facebook by one of my old coworkers (who is a nurse, by the way) stating that she saw some young 20 something pulling into a handicap spot and she walked up to her and asked what her handicap was. Someone then pointed out to her that you can't always see a person's handicap and gave an example. The entitled nurse said then he wouldn't have an issue telling her what his handicap was. When the person said he didn't have to explain it to anyone, she said that was wrong if she sees him parking in a handicap spot and her mother in law who uses a walker can't get one.

I kept out of it because I'm not interested in social media fights, but I was furious reading that! I'm one of those young 20 somethings with a handicap placard and no, you normally can't see my handicap because I try my best to hide it. Should I have to explain myself to some nosy crazy woman? I don't think so! I wouldn't give someone like that the time of day!

This has never happened to me, but I've heard too much where it has happened to others. What would you do in a situation like that in order for it to not escalate into something crazier than it already is? And I only phrase it like that because anyone who has the gall to call you out on it must be crazy.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

I would tell the person that when they start giving out HC placards for cognitive disabilities, I would give them a call- and walk away.

Comment

Why not just answer them truthfully and either hope to educate them or at the very least shame them?
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
        Why not just answer them truthfully and either hope to educate them or at the very least shame them?
        This. I've been given many evil eyes from parking in handicapped spots(not lately, but for years) and would have had no problem telling people what's what.
        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Quite awhile ago, when my disability was invisible, I used a disabled parking space and someone slowed down and yelled out their window "you don't look disabled!!" (at the top of their lungs.

I responded "Thank you!" at the top of my lungs and just kept walking.

Comment

I don't use the spots yet thank God, I do aim for close parking but not ready for the spots just yet.

Little tip though, normally people are watching you the hardest (and judging you) as you are getting out of you vehicle. So if you need to use one, make a point of getting out of you car very slowly, even if you don't need to. Spend an extra 5 seconds getting out of your car and you will likely never get harassed again.

A few months ago I had my family in the car and a road rager who thought we drove too slow pulled up next to us at an intersection and started yelling at us. I could have opened my window and yelled back telling him I was going the posted limit, but I just ignored him. He got louder and started flapping his arms attracting the attention of surrounding vehicles, I ignored him and drove on at the first opportunity. We all had a good laugh over that, this dude made himself look like a complete jerk and no one probably even knew who he was yelling at! Guess that is my long winded way of saying I do not waste my time responding to ignorant people. Educating ignorant people is a near fruitless endeavour. In any case they rarely listen to a word you say and normal have a retort anyways.

Comment

I’m 51, currently walk normally and have Handicap license-plates and use it. But generally won’t take the last parking spot or even the closest.

No one has ever said anything, I have thought about what I say I they did.

“Luckily for me, my neurologist and the state of Illinois disagree with your assessment.”

“I’ll give you a clue, check out the videos of Kayla Montgomery”

“Yes I can walk normally, but will your legs be tingling when you finish shopping?”

And I personally have no problem saying
              “I have MS, and would eagerly trade my HP for a normal healthy life. “
              Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Hi lstrl,

In the case of social media, just move away from the drama.

In real life it is possible to run into those who will confront you, give you dirty looks and make snide comments.

I started using HC parking not long after diagnosis at age 24. Through the years I have had my fair share of those who think I don't need or should not be parked in HC parking

I do not and have never given an explanation to a total strange. Not any of their business.

Jules A:
                If someone asked me in a polite and calm manner I would be willing to explain, that's just not the type of person I have experienced.

The majority of my experiences are with confrontational and judgmental people.

When you have someone come up to you and gets within mere inches from your face screaming at you, that doesn't really make you want to calmly explain.

After almost 30 years of dealing with confrontational and judgmental people I simply reply: If you have a problem with where I am parked, please call the police and I walk away.

Dale76:
                So if you need to use one, make a point of getting out of you car very slowly, even if you don't need to. Spend an extra 5 seconds getting out of your car and you will likely never get harassed again.
                I could see how someone might do this rather than deal with the alternative But, not me

I get in and out of a vehicle in whatever way is best for me. I don't care who is around or watching.

There was a woman who used to shop at the same grocery store I have been going to for years. She parks in HC (no plate or placard). Gets out of her vehicle and walks, quite normally, until...she sees someone then all of a sudden she is limping This was not a one off as I had seen her do this same thing time after time
                Diagnosed 1984
                “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

now that i am in a wc, nobody even bothers anymore. i didonce have a lady (a complete stranger) say something to a guy who used the ast place and he replied that he had ms! (i introduced myself later in the store)
                  hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                  volunteer
                  MS World
                  hunterd@msworld.org
                  PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I would like to think that I would be nice about it, but if someone actually has the gall to say something about me parking in the HC spot I would have no other option than to come back with a remark such as... You can have my spot but you have to take my MS too!
                    Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
                    RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
                    Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

Comment

I have never had a problem. But if I did, I would just calll 911 on my cell phone and let the police handle the matter.
                      Katie
                      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                      "My MS is a Journey for One."
                      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Pet Peeve

I often have doctors' appointments in a medical building attached to a local hospital. And, often, when I try to find an accessible spot in the attached garage, there aren't any available. Why not? Reps from drug companies, who easily get HC cards, are occupying them. They are easily recognizable by their sample cases. The hospital can't or doesn't enforce its own policy. Sometimes I've even broken the rules myself and parked in the "reserved for clergy" space. I do wish there were a solution to aid those of us who really need close-in spots.

Comment

Working...
                        X