Cognitive problems scaring me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cognitive problems scaring me

I am not yet officially diagnosed. Was given probable diagnosis 8 years ago and symptoms mostly remitted until this past summer. Had some physical symptoms which are much better, but cognitive problems are persisting and getting worse. The lates MRI showed no lesions but only a calcification in my brain.

My cognitive problems are becoming very problematic at home and at work. I am forgetting basic tasks and I am really scared what this means. I forget to turn off the stove, put pots on the stove without water and cause fires, put meals together, but don't turn on the oven, forget to turn off running water, make coffee/tea without boiling water. Everyday the signs are present. I forget stuff constantly, misplace stuff, find things in odd places and don't complete tasks at work I have done for years. I am very easily confused by everything from learning new information, taking money out of the bank or using my debit card. It is really scary to think that at 44 I have a memory worse than my parents who are in their 70's.

My doctor says she is much more concerned about the cognitive problems than the physical ones. I see my neuro in two weeks and am preying he can figure this out. I don't know if MS could cause this or if it's the calcium deposit in my brain or something else. Could this be MS? Anyone else have such severe and persistent cognitive problems?

Cognitive problems can be troublesome and confusing and you seem to be having quite a problem with it. I can definitely relate to what you are saying. Right now I'm going through a major and I'm have some cog issues now but trust me when I say this those are the least of my problems.

I've been known to put dirty clothes in the pantry instead of the laundry room. Put bread in the fridge and lunchmeat in the pantry. I could on but you get the idea. It can definitely be MS. But, naturally it could be something ielse.

Have you researched calcification on the brain to see what problems it can cause if any?

If your Neuro is concerned he/she will get to the bottom of it. Unfortunately I have no advice to give. I wish you the best of luck and keep us updated.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Comment

Given my curiosity and lack of patience I absolutely turned to Dr. Google. Found out calcium deposits are not normal as most of the mineral should be deposited into your bones and any that doesn't should be absorbed into the blood stream. Apparently these lesions are caused by too much calcium which I don't have, or it's the bodies way of responding to an injury to the brain. I have never had a head injury, stroke, aneurysm etc. so I have no idea. It does say these lesions can cause symptoms the same way an MS lesion or brain tumor can.

Very interesting since I do have neuro symptoms and this strange thing in my brain. Wonder if there is a correlation or if they made a mistake in reading it and this is an MS lesion as this is what they originally predicted.

Comment

You might consider asking your Neurologist to refer you for a NeuroPsysch evaluation and testing.

This testing might be helpful in a diagnosis of some sort.

Information about Neuropsych evaluation/testing:
        http://emedicine.medscape.com/articl...96-overview#a1
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
        X