Opinions wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions wanted

I just wanted to get some opinions from my fellow ms'ers. I have raced off-road motorcycles for years. I took a break when my kids were born. Just as I was getting ready to race again ms struck. So far my balance is off when I walk and I have fatigue problems.

The question I have for you is: Do you think it would be foolish to try and race again? There are several races coming up and I really want to try. I want to show my kids that anything is possible with the right amount of determination.

I ride several times a month usually for about 40 miles each time. It is hard, but it helps me clear my mind. I would appreciate your honest feed back. I respect all of your opinions, you all truly understand what an ms'er goes through each day. Thanks in advance.

John
    Diagnosed RRMS April 2014
    Trying to be the best dad I can!

you may want to seek the advice of an MS PT about that. They have doctorate training and in most cases have the equipment needed to check reflexes, balance as the screen moves by you on both sides faster and faster.

I did it for riding my bike. Give that a try first just to make sure you are not a danger to yourself or others.

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Nothing scientific about this strategy but if your life is the only one that would be affected by an accident I would say the choice is solely yours.

My mother who is well in her 70s continues to ride horses daily. There is a very good chance she will get thrown at some point and sustain severe injuries or death. She has weighed the risks vs benefits and is at peace with her decision. Our family is also.

Best of luck figuring this one out!
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

I would see how the fatigue impacts your ride, as well as how you recover after. If you don't have other symptoms that affect your safety (vision, dizziness, weakness, balance on the bike, etc..), and it brings you some enjoyment, maybe you could train with lower mileage rides and build back up. That would give you a chance to see how your body responds.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I've been in contact with the promoter and I'm going to ride sweep with a friend. If that goes well a time or two then maybe I'll race again. Should be fun. Thanks again.

Joh

Comment

thanks for posting

I love to hear these stories of "possibilities". seems like so much of our time and life are spent saying or thinking "well, I cannot do that anymore.....".

I am so jealous really..... riding 2 wheels is so out of my possibility now... so I ride a can am spyder....

GO FOR IT.... especially if the mother of your children is good with it...
            You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

I did it

Today I met some friends to ride dirt bikes. They are aware of my ms and are very understanding and helpful. Long story short I was able to ride for seventy miles. We rode thirty miles in the woods and then 40 miles on the hare scramble course. It was awesome. I'm a little sore but it's a good hurt.

John

Comment

Working...
              X