Neuro cognitive testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neuro cognitive testing

My short term memory is suffering. Going to go and have neuro cognitive testing done. Has anyone done this? How long is it? What can they see with it and how can they help?

I've had this done a couple times. One as a baseline evaluation referred by my neuro to determine cognitive strengths and and weaknesses and another time, years later when I applied for SSDI. The 2nd test ran for about 5 hours but I've read here that some don't take as long.

This is a really informative article from the Dept of Neurology at UNC that explains much - http://www.med.unc.edu/neurology/div...ers/npsycheval

Hope this helps. Get a good night rest before the testing and don't stress about it. Like the article states, it's not a pass or fail kind of exam. Let us know what you find out!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I have had it done 3 times in 9 years. First one, I think was 6 hours, but part was the neuropsych getting background and questioning to see if anxiety and depression were contri uting factors. The subsequent ones were 3-4 hours.

It is important to get that baseline, even if no real deficits show. But if things are found, they can help come up with plan to address. Good luck.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi meeshkap,

I had neuropsych testing/evaluation done a couple of years ago. Paper work was sent to me to be filled out before my appointment.

First appointment was discussing my difficulties and medical history and medications.

Second appointment was extensive testing. I was there for approximately 6 hours. My husband came with me but could not be in for testing. He was there as my chauffer since testing can be mentally exhausting.

Third appointment was going over results and what they mean for me.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

IQ? or not?

Ok - well- I have another question - some people say those tests do not test your IQ but some say they do... which is it? I'm nervous because I used to work and although I have been a stay at home now for several years I want to become a teacher and I'm scared that these tests will get me down. ugh! Math and mathematical reasoning are not my thing at all.

Comment

Buried in there there is an IQ test.

Take care
            Lisa
            Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
            SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
            Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X