Termination Of Health Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Termination Of Health Insurance

Does anyone know how much notice a health insurance company is required to give a dependent on the policy that the coverage for that dependent is terminating?

PS

I should have included this with my original post - what do you need to provide and how much notice to another carrier to purchase new insurance?

Comment

I'm not sure how much time an Insurance Company has to give before terminating coverage but it should say in your policy.

You have to provide a "Certificate of Coverage" to the new Insurance Company. That just says that you have had coverage withing the last 60 days. At least that was Pre-Obama Care. I don't think you have to give the new Insurance Company any type of notice.

Maybe someone else will post that has more than I do.

BTW did they tell you why they were terminating coverage. Not to be nosey just curious. Seems odd to me.
      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
      Babe Ruth

Comment

I think every state law is slightly different, but my state has an ombudsman that intervenes on your behalf if you think something unlawful has been done in the insurance industry. I think they are required to give you notice, so I would definitely check with your state government to see if that's service is available.

Comment

It depends if the insurer is terminating the coverage or if it's the you, the primary insured is requesting a cancellation of coverage for the dependent.

Also, Certificates of Creditible Coverage will no longer be required or issued by insurers effective 12.30.14. Pre-existing conditions exclusions are prohibited under new ACA, which results in CCCs being obsolete effective 12.30.14

You should contact your state Department of Insurance if your coverage is an individual policy, or coverage under a fully insured group plan. Your state DOI may be helpful in directing you if your plan is a self insured group medical plan.

If dependent coverage is provided via a self insured group plan, there may be ERISA regulations that apply. If I remember correctly, ERISA provisions are regulated by DOL.

Comment

Thanks All

for your replies. One of my kids turned 26 this year and will no longer be covered under their father's plan. ( I am a single, divorced mom with my own individual coverage which I pay for myself.)
            This kid is attending grad school and the school wants proof of prior coverage to enroll him for January 2015.
            As far as the plan he's currently covered under, no notification of termination has been sent - Keep being told don't worry - he has 60 days to COBRA in - well he won't be COBRAing (is that a word) as the cost for the coverage is $625 per month! Coverage through his grad school is around $325 and has much better coverage.
            So the end of the year is coming soon and the current health insurer hasn't provided any notice, even though we've asked.....

Comment

Oops, correction...

Certificates of Creditible Coverage will no longer be required or issued by insurers effective 12.31.14, not 12.30.14

Comment

Under the ACA kids can be on their parents plans until they turn 26. That is why the termination of coverage. No notice is needed as you know when your son or daughter is turning 26 and needs their own insurance. It is up to the turning 26 year old adult to get insurance on their own, or the parents if that adult is in school still.

Lisa
                Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                X