Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spasticity...Your feelings

Hi all,

I have PPMs and in my progression, I have been experiencing more increasing spasticity.

My legs, thigh in one and calf in the other. feel like they are in a charlie horse. Constant tightening with no real relief.

What are your feelings....?

Baclofen?

Are you taking Baclofen or some other muscle relaxant? I also stretch quite a bit. I have had very bad spasticity and now with the right dosage of baclofen and stretching regularly I feel much better.

Comment

Originally posted by truestory View Post
      Hi all,

I have PPMs and in my progression, I have been experiencing more increasing spasticity.

My legs, thigh in one and calf in the other. feel like they are in a charlie horse. Constant tightening with no real relief.

What are your feelings....?
      I have PPMS as well and I'm also having near unbearable spasticity. I do gentle stretching, crack my joints when I can (gently) and use MMJ to relax muscles and kill pain. All of that helps but it never goes away. I basically feel like my joints all have pressure on them with no lubrication. For me every movement is agony, worst in my lower body.

Comment

Dale - have you ever considered a baclofen pump?

Comment

I have not started Baclofen yet. My Neuro suggested we wait to see how bad the pain was after a while.

We're weighing the side effects compared to severity. So far, severity is winning!

I'll try the stretching and see how that goes.

Comment

Glad you posted this. I was never sure what spacticity felt like until the last few months. My thigh muscles tighten up and feel hard. I've lost a lot of weight and thought it could have something to do with that. But I also get some little knots and bruises in those thighs. Been going around with the doctors on this problem. Some say it's aging, or varicose veins. But I only have a few prominent veins in my calves. One of them ruptured a couple months ago. It's so hard to sort it all out.
            Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I have SPMS and this is what helped me when I was having horrible muscle spasms last month . Don't know if it will work for others but I thought I would share.

Magnesium is a mineral crucial to the proper function of your muscles, kidneys and heart. It is the fourth most abundant mineral in your body, according to the Office of Dietary Supplements. Only 1 percent of your bodily magnesium is in your bloodstream, while a majority is stored in your cells and bones. Maintaining a balanced amount of magnesium in your diet might help prevent muscle cramping and spasms.

Comment

PPMS too

I really hope that you get some relief as I know how miserable it is I was just officially diagnosed a few months ago and my neuro believes I am PPMS as well since I have never had any true relapses. Though I am doing ok now, I realize that may not always be the case. Spasticity has been my worst symptom from the get go. I have been stiff and in constant pain. 80 mg of Baclofen, stretching and regular exercise and working with physio/pt has helped me tremendously. I am in Colorado Dale, so the MMJ may be something I try down the road if it gets worse

Take care everyone,

Beth

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                  Dale - have you ever considered a baclofen pump?
                  No I have not but I have no intent to take any treatment beyond MMJ at this point. Every pharmaceutical that I have taken to this point has done more harm then good. I have been on MMJ for 4 yrs now without side effects and I swear I would be dead by now without it.

Sorry I'm a little bitter when it come to pharmaceuticals, if they work for you that is great but they are not for me .

Comment

Originally posted by Dale76 View Post
                    No I have not but I have no intent to take any treatment beyond MMJ at this point. Every pharmaceutical that I have taken to this point has done more harm then good. I have been on MMJ for 4 yrs now without side effects and I swear I would be dead by now without it.

Sorry I'm a little bitter when it come to pharmaceuticals, if they work for you that is great but they are not for me .
                    Dale, I completely understand. I've had a rough go with a number of medications. I said, "one of the MS medications was going to put me in the hospital, another in the grave." The only reason I bring up the baclofen pump is because it helped get rid of the majority of my spasticity; helping get me out of a wheelchair and taking away the bulk of my pain. While other treatments were taking away life, the pump gave me much more back. I never would have imagined this, much like you would never imagine getting off MMJ.

I'm just glad both of us has found a solution that works for us, and hope others do the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X