Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you word this vacation request?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you word this vacation request?

hi!

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest wording for me:

My daughter goes to community college. We are going on a vacation and she will miss her last final. She asked to take it early and was told no. She will have 100 points deducted which will ultimately lower her GPA.

I checked with a friend that happens to work there and she said the punishment is abnormally harsh. I feel bad because I planned the trip & messed the days up. There really isn't anything we can do.

I want to encourage my daughter to ask for a reconsideration in writing. She can't say it's my mom's fault and at this point I can't think of anything other than I planned a vacation because I need to do what I can do before I can no longer do it So I don't care about this teachers stupid petty games. I don't care if she knows I have M.S. I avoid using it as an excuse but in this case it is the excuse!

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

How about something like this?

To Whom It May Concern:

Thank you for considering my request to take the final exam early.

I have worked diligently at your course this semester. And, I plan to study diligently for the final, if I am allowed to take it early.

The vacation was not planned by me, and I did not have any control over the dates. My family, who planned it, would be heartbroken if I could not accompany them on this vacation.

And, I would be very disappointed, if, after all of this work, I would need to miss the the final exam, and would have a lower grade.

I would like to request a re-consideration of my request. You have seemed to be a compassionate person in the past. I suspect that, in addition to valuing education, you also place a high value on family and opportunities to bond with family during a vacation.

If you are unable to grant my request, I wonder if there would be other options to raise my grade in order to make up for the decrease that would accompany me not being present for the exam.

Perhaps there is some extra credit work that I could do in lieu of the exam, if taking it early is not a possibility.

Thank you, in advance, for considering my request, once again.

Sincerely,

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I think that is a great response Faith! I hope it is something that OP can use.

Also, since the friend who works there says the punishment is "unusually harsh," I wonder if there are college policies pertaining to what happens to students who miss an exam? Maybe official policies support a more flexible approach, particularly when the reason for missing an exam pertains to family illness rather than just personal preference.

Another thought. Maybe your daughter could take the exam at the scheduled time, then catch up with the rest of the family at the vacation destination.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyairfare View Post
        I think that is a great response Faith! I hope it is something that OP can use.

Also, since the friend who works there says the punishment is "unusually harsh," I wonder if there are college policies pertaining to what happens to students who miss an exam?

Another thought. Maybe your daughter could take the exam at the scheduled time, then catch up with the rest of the family at the vacation destination.
        I think these are excellent ideas. As someone who teaches at two Universities I don't think the penalty is harsh and the truth is the final exam dates are done months in advance so really there isn't much excuse not to have planned vacations around those dates. Is there no way you can change the vacation to fall during her spring break or after the final exam? At least in nursing schools we tend not to be flexible because we are also attempting to instill the values of responsibility and work ethic.

That said if she wrote a shortened version of Faith's note and actually included brief information about MS and Mom's uncertain future I would consider letting the student take a version of the final exam early if my chair allowed. The biggest problem imo is that we get requests like this all the time and it becomes sticky if we accommodate some students and not others especially when it isn't a matter of illness or death of a family member.

Best of luck and please keep us posted, Jules
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Beautifully written, Faith.

If you chose to try the letter, Faith's letter would be great. I have one idea, though, that might convey the emotion that your situation brings. When you get to the part that says ...you also place high high value on family bonding... You could substitute it with, "you also would understand if I told you that my mother has multiple sclerosis. Her disease is progressing rapidly and this may be her last vacation. I want to do this for her because I know how much it means to her.

If you are unable to grant my request, would you accept a research paper? I would like to research..."

I have another take on this, though. Your daughter is in Community College. That means she is an adult. Many college age children go away to school so, for them, requesting to take a final early would be out of the question. It's part of growing up. My son, accidently missed a final during his freshman year in college. He got the time schedule confused. He had an A going into the final but ended up with a C in the course which cost him two years to make up the missed opportunity. I was furious that the man would be so harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
            My son, accidently missed a final during his freshman year in college. He got the time schedule confused. He had an A going into the final but ended up with a C in the course which cost him two years to make up the missed opportunity. I was furious that the man would be so harsh.
            But is this really harsh?

Your son accepted his penalty with maturity and continued to work hard to regain his gpa. Thankfully he still passed the course and although very disappointing and a difficult life lesson it is one we all face to some degree. He sounds like a great young man who learned a difficult but important lesson.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

In this technology based world, can she do the exam on-line while away?
              Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                But is this really harsh?

Your son accepted his penalty with maturity and continued to work hard to regain his gpa. Thankfully he still passed the course and although very disappointing and a difficult life lesson it is one we all face to some degree. He sounds like a great young man who learned a difficult but important lesson.
                It sounds like you agree with me, 18 year olds have to understand responsibility.

Comment

Just playing the devil's advocate:

The reason profs are averse to give exams early is they're afraid the test material will then be dispersed to other students.

Have you figured out exactly what the end result of a loss of points will be? 100 points seems like a lot, but what is the point basis for the class?

In the scope of an entire college career's GPA (120 classes...possible 480 points), a letter grade, one way or another, does little to alter the final GPA average at graduation.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                    It sounds like you agree with me, 18 year olds have to understand responsibility.
                    Absolutely I just don't think it is harsh to penalize a young adult for missing an obligation. He sounds like a great young man, you must be very proud.
                    Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
                      Just playing the devil's advocate:

The reason profs are averse to give exams early is they're afraid the test material will then be dispersed to other students.

Have you figured out exactly what the end result of a loss of points will be? 100 points seems like a lot, but what is the point basis for the class?

In the scope of an entire college career's GPA (120 classes...possible 480 points), a letter grade, one way or another, does little to alter the final GPA average at graduation.
                      That's why I suggested a research paper. Profs usually like student research because it can become part of their library. Students are graded by tests. Profs are evaluated by how much research they do.

Comment

Your kidding...right?

Junior Year, second semester exams. Carrying 18 hours.
                        My grandmother dies just as I'm preparing for a week of intense study. There is no way I'm missing the funeral so I go back to Chicago, missing all the exams.

Some I got to take when I got back, some I just got a big, fat "F"...zero. No tolerance, don't even ask type of thing.

I think it ludicrous you would ask to have her tests rescheduled. She's in College...not grade school.

Comment

I don't think it hurts to ask in a polite, responsible manner, especially if one is willing to take the consequences - an additional research or other extra-credit assignment, or a grade/point reduction.

Some professors may have room for flexibility and milk of human kindness, while others will strictly adhere to the rules. Just like in post-college life.

So I'd say no harm in asking.

Comment

She already asked. She already got her response.

Comment

Palm -

A polite request for a reconsideration in not inappropriate. i live in a plaid and paisley and polka-dot world; not a black and white one. In my world, a first "no" doesn't mean it will stay "no".

I don't give up easily. I wonder, if people who do, may be somewhat insecure.

I would not plan to be aggressive; simply assertive.
                              ~ Faith
                              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                              X